Need an online program to convert songs on a CD to MP3

In summary, the conversation is about converting songs from a CD to MP3 format in order to play them on various devices. The speaker is looking for a legitimate site or program to do this, and suggestions are given for CNET, SnapFiles, and iTunes. The speaker also mentions finding a tutorial on YouTube and using MediaPlay to rip the CD into MP3. The conversation also touches on how to organize the songs into different folders and the importance of using a reliable extractor and encoder for the best quality.
yungman
Hi

Can anyone give me suggestion on a ligid site to convert songs in CD to MP3 to play on computer, car and MP3 players.

Thanks

Alan

Computer science news on Phys.org
Look up CNET or SnapFiles to get possible programs. Many are free.

I want to find a legitimate site, don't want to get into trouble getting virus or something.

Does it have to be online? Itunes has that capability.

Likes Imager
FactChecker said:
Does it have to be online? Itunes has that capability.
It doesn't have to be on line, I just hope I can get it for free.

Thanks

I just found out on youtube, I can just rip the CD ( even to particular song) into MP3 using MediaPlay on the computer. Seems like it's working. I have to load onto MP3 player to verify.

Do I just put into memory stick and play it in the car? How do I group into different folders? Just like any computer files and the car player can sort it out?

Sorry my question is so ignorant, I don't listen to music! I only listen to news radio, never even try to play anything beyond CD, now the new cars don't even come with a CD player, have have a USB port! Never even look into this until my big boss ( wife of cause) ask my help.

Thanks

yungman said:
I just found out on youtube, I can just rip the CD ( even to particular song) into MP3 using MediaPlay on the computer. Seems like it's working. I have to load onto MP3 player to verify.
It has always worked for me.
PS. Make sure that it can look up the correct album song information from the internet.
Do I just put into memory stick and play it in the car? How do I group into different folders? Just like any computer files and the car player can sort it out?
That depends on how smart your car stereo is. It is worth trying in different folders so that you can control what plays and so that combining duplicate song names from different folders will not cause a problem.

Last edited:
yungman said:
I want to find a legitimate site, don't want to get into trouble getting virus or something.
CNET and SnapFiles screen out bad stuff.

Likes davenn
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ is the best extractor available and it is Windows only. You could use cdparanoia on Linux. It is important because Audio CD format does not have any error correction codes unlike other data storage mechanism. You could use LAME encoder to encode raw PCM to MP3 format in any operating system.

Likes MikeeMiracle
dBpoweramp is the best utility I have encountered.

Likes pbuk
ExactAudioCopy is arguably the best out there, it's free and has the most features. It re-reads the track multiple times and can rip to proper lossless formats, not just mp3. It's very fussy though so if your CD's are scratched you may have issues as it tries to create true copies and does not "make up data" if it can't read it like most normal rippers do.

Likes Anand Sivaram

1. How do I convert songs on a CD to MP3?

To convert songs on a CD to MP3, you will need an online program or software. There are many options available, such as iTunes, Windows Media Player, and online converters like Zamzar. These programs will guide you through the process of selecting the songs from your CD and converting them to MP3 format.

2. Is it legal to convert songs from a CD to MP3?

As a scientist, I cannot provide legal advice. However, it is generally considered legal to convert songs from a CD to MP3 for personal use. It is important to make sure you are not infringing on any copyright laws when converting songs.

3. Do I need an internet connection to convert songs from a CD to MP3 online?

Yes, you will need an internet connection to use an online converter. These programs require an internet connection to upload the CD songs and download the converted MP3 files.

4. Are there any limitations on the number of songs I can convert using an online program?

This may vary depending on the specific online program you are using. Some programs may have a limit on the number of songs you can convert for free. It is important to check the program's terms and conditions before using it.

5. Can I convert songs from a CD to MP3 on my phone or tablet?

Yes, there are many apps available for both Android and iOS devices that allow you to convert songs from a CD to MP3. However, these apps may have limited features compared to online converters on a computer. It is always best to research and read reviews before downloading any app for this purpose.