1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need and explanation of an Optics principle.

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    There is a laser beam with a diameter D, in air that strikes a flat smooth piece of glass with angle @ and index of refraction of n. I need to derive and equation for the diameter of the beam in the glass wiht respect with n D, and @.
    I want to know why the beam's diameter would be effected by the index of refraction. Can you give me a hint of what laws and principles I should use.
    Anyway I am going to reread my textbook and class notes again to see if I missed anything that could be applied to this situation.
    I want to thank you for your help, in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a picture and and use Snell's law. I`m sure you can imagine in the extreme case of infinite refraction index and glancing incidence that the beam in the medium will clearly have a larger diameter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?