Need and explanation of an Optics principle.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a laser beam with diameter D in air and its diameter in a flat, smooth piece of glass with angle @ and index of refraction n. The speaker is trying to derive an equation for the beam's diameter in the glass, and asks for hints on what laws and principles to use. They plan to review their textbook and class notes for more information. The other person suggests using Snell's law and drawing a picture to understand the effect of index of refraction on the beam's diameter.
zumbo1
There is a laser beam with a diameter D, in air that strikes a flat smooth piece of glass with angle @ and index of refraction of n. I need to derive and equation for the diameter of the beam in the glass wiht respect with n D, and @.
I want to know why the beam's diameter would be effected by the index of refraction. Can you give me a hint of what laws and principles I should use.
Anyway I am going to reread my textbook and class notes again to see if I missed anything that could be applied to this situation.
I want to thank you for your help, in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture and and use Snell's law. I`m sure you can imagine in the extreme case of infinite refraction index and glancing incidence that the beam in the medium will clearly have a larger diameter.

1. What is the principle of refraction in optics?

The principle of refraction in optics states that when a light ray passes through a medium with a different refractive index, it changes direction. This is due to the change in the speed of light as it travels through different materials. This principle is responsible for the formation of images by lenses and the bending of light in a prism.

2. How does the law of reflection apply to optics?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence (the angle between the incident ray and the normal to the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle between the reflected ray and the normal). In optics, this law helps to determine the direction in which light will be reflected off of a surface, such as a mirror.

3. What is the significance of the focal point in optics?

The focal point in optics refers to the point where parallel light rays converge or appear to diverge from after passing through a lens or reflecting off a concave mirror. This is an important concept in optics as it is used to determine the position and size of images formed by lenses and mirrors.

4. How does the index of refraction affect the speed of light?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can slow down the speed of light. The higher the index of refraction, the slower the speed of light will be in that medium. This is due to the interaction of light with the atoms and molecules of the material, causing it to travel at a different speed.

5. Can you explain the principle behind total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray traveling through a medium with a higher refractive index reaches the boundary with a medium with a lower refractive index. If the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle (determined by the refractive indices of the two materials), the light ray will be completely reflected back into the first medium. This principle is used in fiber optics to transmit light signals over long distances.