1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear optics: second order polarization calculation

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    This is a problem from Boyd Nonlinear Optics chptr 1 problem 2.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Numerical estimate of nonlinear optical quantities. A laser beam of frequency ω carrying 1 W of power is focused to a spot size of 30μm diameter in a crystal having a refractive index of n =2 and a second order susceptibility of [itex]\chi^{(2)}=4\times 10^{-11} m/V[/itex]. Calculate numerically the amplitude P(2ω) of the component of the nonlinear polarization oscillating at frequency 2ω.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]P(2\omega)=\epsilon_0^{(2)}E^2[/tex]
    [tex]I=\frac{cn\epsilon_0}{2}E_0^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for [itex]E_0[/itex] assuming a uniform distribution across the spot, with I=P/A and got
    [tex] E_0=\sqrt{\frac{2P}{Acn\epsilon_0}}[/tex]
    and put that into the equation I gave for [itex]P(2\omega)[/itex]. The value I got was [itex]1.89\times 10^{-11}[/itex], which is almost exactly 4 times the value given in the text of [itex]4.7\times 10^{-11}[/itex]

I feel like it's possible that the value given in the text accidentally uses the diameter of the spot to calculate the area, which would give them a factor of 1/4 that I don't have, but I also thought that maybe my problem lies in my assumption that the spot is uniform. Maybe I actually need to integrate numerically assuming a gaussian beam profile-which would kind of make sense considering the problem title (numerical estimate of nonlinear optical quantities).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, dnp33.

Here's a possibility. Note that below (1.2.14b), Boyd (3rd edition) gives the expression for intensity as ##I = \frac{1}{2}n_0\epsilon_0c\varepsilon^2## where ##\varepsilon## is the field amplitude as defined by (1.2.12). But this definition of field amplitude differs by a factor of 2 from the field amplitude ##E## defined by (1.2.1). Note ##\varepsilon = 2E##.

Very confusing. Would have been nice if Boyd had given an explicit numerical example to help sort out the notation.

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted