1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need assistance with Gen Chem problem

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1

RGH

It has been a long while since I have had to calculate normality. If I remember correctly the formula for normality is:

N=g/(equiv wt x Vol) or NAcidVAcid=NBaseVBase

The known values given are the normality of the base and the volume of the base. Since the normality of the acid is the desired unknown, I am guessing the volume of the acid is given; however I am struggling on how to calculate it. I know I am making this much harder than it should be, but any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Well here is the problem.

What is the normality of a NaOH solution if a titration requires 35.17 ml of the solution to neutralize 0.8591 g of KHP? N of NaOH = 0.10.

Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How many moles of KHP? How is that related to NaVa?

You wanted to put this in "Other Sci." in "Homework Help," or in "Chemistry" in the main forum list --- "the next available mod will take care of that for you."

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3

RGH

Sorry about putting this in the wrong thread; however, the problem does seem to be missing information (right?). It was one made by the lab TA. I don't think it is solveable. I don't think I forgot to copy something down. Thanks for trying to help though. I am going to bother the TA about it tomorrow.

5. Aug 30, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The TA didn't do your library, or handbook, work for you, but all the information's there --- you can look up MW/FW for KHP.

6. Sep 1, 2006 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Start with normality definition. In this particular case normality is identical to molarity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?