Need confirmation for spring mass system question

In summary, a 1.20 kg mass attached to an unstretched spring with a spring constant of 790 N/m is pulled with a constant force until it reaches a momentary stop after moving 14.0 cm. To find the new equilibrium position of the system, the work done by the applied force is calculated to be 7.4 J, and the magnitude of the applied force is determined to be 55 N. This is when the spring force is equal to 55 N, and the system comes to a momentary stop at 7 cm. This is due to the initial velocity of the mass being converted to spring energy over a distance of 7 cm.
ozbii

Homework Statement

A mass of 1.20 kg. originally at rest, sits on a frictionless surface. It is attached to one end of an unstretched spring (k = 790 N/m), the other end of which is fixed to a wall. The mass is then pulled with a constant force to stretch the spring. As a result, the system comes to a momentary stop after the mass moves 14.0 cm.

Find the new equilibrium position of the system.

Homework Equations

Total Work = Change in kinetic energy = 0
W = F * d
Total Work = Work done by force + Work done spring

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that since the mass comes to a stop in 14 cm then that must be the equilibrium position since it would only come to a stop if the spring force equaled the applied force.

However the answer is actually found by first calculating the work done by the applied force:

Total Work = Work by Force + Work by Spring = Change in KE = 0
Work by Force = - Work by Spring
Work by Force = 7.4 J

Then you determine the magnitude of the applied force:

W = Force * Displacement
W / Displacement = Force
Force = 55 N

Then you determine when the Spring Force is equal to 55 N:

55 = (0.5) * k * x^2
55 = (0.5) * 790 * x^2
x = 0.07 m = 7 cm

Now, my confusion arises from the fact that in the question it is stated that the spring comes to a MOMENTARY STOP at 14 cm. How is that possible if the applied force is equal to the spring force at 7 cm? How is the mass able to travel an additional 7 cm before coming to a momentary stop?

Is it due to the fact that when it reaches 7 cm it has an initial velocity and that kinetic energy is converted to spring energy over a distance of 7 cm? Okay I just checked the math and this works out perfectly. So I guess this answers my question but I would love if someone could confirm this. Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
ozbii said:
Total Work = Work by Force + Work by Spring = Change in KE = 0
Work by Force = - Work by Spring
Work by Force = 7.4 J

How are you getting 7.4 J?

Then you determine when the Spring Force is equal to 55 N:

55 = (0.5) * k * x^2

##\frac{1}{2}kx^2## is an energy, not a force. In SI units it gives you a number in joules, not Newtons.

1. What is a spring mass system?

A spring mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The mass is free to move in one dimension, and the spring exerts a force on the mass, causing it to oscillate around a fixed equilibrium point.

2. How is the motion of a spring mass system described?

The motion of a spring mass system can be described using the equation of motion, which is a second-order differential equation. It takes into account the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the displacement from the equilibrium point.

3. What factors affect the motion of a spring mass system?

The motion of a spring mass system is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. Other external factors such as damping and external forces can also affect the motion.

4. How can I confirm the behavior of a spring mass system?

To confirm the behavior of a spring mass system, you can perform experiments to measure the mass, spring constant, and the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. You can also use mathematical models and simulations to predict and verify the behavior of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of spring mass systems?

Spring mass systems are used in various real-world applications such as shock absorbers in vehicles, suspension systems in buildings and bridges, and heart valves in the human body. They are also used in musical instruments, clocks, and other mechanical devices.