1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need confirmation for spring mass system question

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of 1.20 kg. originally at rest, sits on a frictionless surface. It is attached to one end of an unstretched spring (k = 790 N/m), the other end of which is fixed to a wall. The mass is then pulled with a constant force to stretch the spring. As a result, the system comes to a momentary stop after the mass moves 14.0 cm.

Find the new equilibrium position of the system.

2. Relevant equations
    Total Work = Change in kinetic energy = 0
    W = F * d
    Total Work = Work done by force + Work done spring

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was that since the mass comes to a stop in 14 cm then that must be the equilibrium position since it would only come to a stop if the spring force equaled the applied force.

However the answer is actually found by first calculating the work done by the applied force:

Total Work = Work by Force + Work by Spring = Change in KE = 0
    Work by Force = - Work by Spring
    Work by Force = 7.4 J

Then you determine the magnitude of the applied force:

W = Force * Displacement
    W / Displacement = Force
    Force = 55 N

Then you determine when the Spring Force is equal to 55 N:

55 = (0.5) * k * x^2
    55 = (0.5) * 790 * x^2
    x = 0.07 m = 7 cm

Now, my confusion arises from the fact that in the question it is stated that the spring comes to a MOMENTARY STOP at 14 cm. How is that possible if the applied force is equal to the spring force at 7 cm? How is the mass able to travel an additional 7 cm before coming to a momentary stop?

Is it due to the fact that when it reaches 7 cm it has an initial velocity and that kinetic energy is converted to spring energy over a distance of 7 cm? Okay I just checked the math and this works out perfectly. So I guess this answers my question but I would love if someone could confirm this. Thank you for reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2
    How are you getting 7.4 J?

##\frac{1}{2}kx^2## is an energy, not a force. In SI units it gives you a number in joules, not newtons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted