1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need equation for modified sine curve for a cam.

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    I am looking for the equation used to create the cam shape using a "modified sine curve".

I am pretty sure the information is in the "Cam Design Handbook" by Harold A. Rothbart but I dont want to buy the book for just one equation.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

It's more than likely just literally a modified sine curve. Nice thing about sine curves is that they are infinitely differentiable, so there are no discontinuities in accelerations/forces, etc.

Unless someone else has designed cams before.

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, modified sine curve is a good starting point unless you're doing something particular.

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4
    The modified sine curve divides the complete event length, beta, into three subsections and uses a separate lift expression over each subsection. They are as follows:

For a total lift of h ...

for 0<theta<beta/8 ..............y=(h/(4+pi))*(pi*theta/beta-(1/4)sin(4 pi theta/beta))
    for beta/8<theta<7*beta/8 ..y=(h/(4+pi))*(2+pi*theta/beta-(9/4)*sin(4*pi*theta/(3*beta)+pi/3))
    for 7*beta/8<theta<beta .....y=(h/(4+pi))*(4+pi*theta/beta-(1/4)*sin(4*pi*theta/beta))

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    Do a Google search on "modified sine curve" and you will find several entries, one of which is from GoogleBooks. There you can read a portion of Rothbart's book where you can find these equations on p. 75.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook