Camshaft design from wanted torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a test jig that needs to simulate a train caliper. The jig will consist of a rotating arm that must provide a specific amount of torque at every degree. The person is considering using a cam with an eccentric roller follower and die spring, but is having trouble designing the cam based on the torque values. They mention a discontinuous derivative in the torque curve and request help with a sketch of the system.
gogogsr
Hey guys, I'm making a test jig that needs to simulate a train caliper. The test jig consist of an arm that rotates 90 degrees. The jig must give a certain amount of torque at every degrees (see graph below). I was thinking on making a cam with an eccentric roller follower and die spring. The thing is I'm having a hard time to design the cam from the torque values. I've been able to simulate a sliding cam easily but when it comes to a radial cam its a lot more tricky, everything works with my calculations, except the pressure angle which is almost always 10 time smaller, so the torque is way less then wanted. I'm not sure if i need to determine the envelop of the cam depending on the previous point calculated or not.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

torquegraph.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I have read your message correctly, we make interpret the torque curve you gave as the required displacement for the spring attachment point on the cam follower since that will generate the strain in the spring to create the force. Thus, with a different scale, this is a cam displacement diagram, for some point on the cam follower.

This presents problems right away in looking at the curve because it has a discontinuous derivative a several locations. This is difficult to do with a cam; cams are inherently smooth devices.

May I suggest that you include a sketch of your entire system if you want further help? It is not very clear what you are trying to accomplish here.

i will try to post a sketch tomorrow, thanks for the reply

1. How does camshaft design affect torque output?

The shape and timing of the cam lobes on a camshaft can greatly impact the torque output of an engine. A well-designed camshaft will open and close the engine's valves at the right time and for the right duration, allowing for optimal fuel and air intake and exhaust flow. This results in better torque production.

2. What is the optimal design for a camshaft to achieve desired torque?

The optimal design for a camshaft to achieve a specific torque output is dependent on several factors, including the engine's size, intended use, and desired power band. A skilled engineer will consider all of these factors and use computer simulations and testing to determine the most suitable camshaft design.

3. Can camshaft design be customized for different types of engines?

Yes, camshaft design can be customized for different types of engines. The shape and timing of the cam lobes can be adjusted to match the specific characteristics and requirements of different engine types, such as V6, V8, or diesel engines.

4. How does the material of the camshaft affect torque output?

The material of the camshaft can affect torque output in several ways. A lighter material, such as aluminum, can reduce the overall weight of the engine, resulting in faster acceleration and higher torque. On the other hand, a stronger material, such as hardened steel, can withstand higher RPMs and produce more torque.

5. Is camshaft design the only factor that affects torque output?

No, camshaft design is not the only factor that affects torque output. Other important factors include the engine's compression ratio, fuel and air intake, and exhaust system. These components must work together in harmony to achieve optimal torque production.