Gym exercise equipment analysis

In summary, the engineer is trying to find the reaction forces on the mechanical machine structure by analyzing each part separately.
JasmineRM
I need some help on the direction to go with this problem. This is a workarm on a leg extension machine and there's 300 pounds (max) coming from the weight stack attached via a cable on the cam. I need to find the total force exterted on this system to double check my results on an analysis.

To explain the diagram a littler more, there's a cam that exerts a torque onto the shaft connected to it. Then there's a perpendicular lever connected to that where the leg extension pad is connected perpendicular to that. I know there's a force exerted on to the work arm from a person seated using the machine.

I know for sure I can calculate the torque on the cam using distances from the cable as different degrees to the pivot point and multiplying that by the 300 lbs. I am lost on how to approach the rest. Should I analyze part by part or as a whole system? Any input would be great because I've racked my head on this for quite some time and I am stuck. Thank you

IMG_20150724_093216564_zps63fys364.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the Force by the user's leg (as a function of angle), or the reaction Forces applied to the shaft by the bearings?
that is, are you analyzing the biology/kinesiology, or the mechanical machine structure?

lightgrav said:
Are you trying to find the Force by the user's leg (as a function of angle), or the reaction Forces applied to the shaft by the bearings?
that is, are you analyzing the biology/kinesiology, or the mechanical machine structure?
The mechanical machine structure

Would this be the correct thinking...
I analyzed each part separately. For the cam, I took the distance from the cable to the center and found the max torque to be 2435.4 lb*in. Then for the rotating bearing, I used T = F*d, with the force being 300 lb and distance as the length of the bearing, getting 1912.5 lb*in. For the lever, I used the cantilever beam equation and 3750 lb*in. As for the final beam which is where the leg has a force going up on ...I was unsure of how to go about the forces on this one. I have two reaction forces, one in the x and one in the y which equals 300lb, weight going down, another weight of a person going down because there's a potential someone could sit in the end of this beam (although hopefully unlikely) that is at max 300 lb(weight stack weight), and the questionable force going up that I am trying to find.

Is this correct?

IMG_20150728_090711031_zpsukf0emck.jpg

1. What are the most important factors to consider when analyzing gym exercise equipment?

When analyzing gym exercise equipment, the most important factors to consider are functionality, safety, durability, cost, and user experience. It is important to ensure that the equipment performs its intended function effectively, is safe for use, can withstand frequent and heavy use, is affordable, and provides a positive experience for users.

2. How can data analysis be used to assess the effectiveness of gym exercise equipment?

Data analysis can be used to assess the effectiveness of gym exercise equipment by tracking key metrics such as usage frequency, user satisfaction, and any changes in fitness levels or body measurements. This data can then be compared to industry standards and benchmarks to determine the overall effectiveness of the equipment.

3. What are some common flaws that can be identified through gym exercise equipment analysis?

Some common flaws that can be identified through gym exercise equipment analysis include design flaws, mechanical issues, and safety hazards. These flaws can greatly impact the effectiveness and safety of the equipment, and should be addressed promptly to avoid potential injuries and negative user experiences.

4. How can gym exercise equipment analysis be used to improve the overall gym experience for users?

Gym exercise equipment analysis can be used to identify areas for improvement in the gym experience for users. This could include providing more variety in equipment, addressing any issues with existing equipment, and considering feedback from users in the design and selection of new equipment. By continuously analyzing and improving the equipment, the overall gym experience can be enhanced for users.

5. What are some important considerations when selecting new gym exercise equipment?

When selecting new gym exercise equipment, it is important to consider the needs and preferences of the target audience, as well as the overall goals and objectives of the gym. The equipment should also be evaluated for functionality, safety, durability, and cost, as well as how it will fit into the existing layout and design of the gym. Additionally, gathering feedback from current users can help inform the selection process and ensure that the new equipment will meet their needs and expectations.