Need formula height of diver off springboard

In summary, the problem at hand involves two divers jumping on a diving board and determining who will jump the highest. The weights of the divers and the velocity at which they are jumping are known. The key to solving this problem is to consider the linear kinematics of the divers' take-off velocity, rather than the energy stored in the diving board. With this approach, the solution becomes much simpler.
Rbraind

Homework Statement

two divers jump on a diving board, who will jump highest, Weights of divers are known and velocity they are jumping at. I'm stuck finding the right formula, I know the board has to deform, stored energy has an influenece. I think its a basic question but my brain has frozen,any help really appreciated. thanx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!As far as I can see, the problems hasn't got anything to do with energy stored in the spring because you are already told about the velocity of take-off for the diver. Of course, in a general sense, you would consider the diver jumping upwards with that velocity, which, thereafter makes it a simple linear kinematics problem!

THANKYOU! thanxs for the quick reply and push in the right direction.. I was definitely making it more complicated than it actually was - cheers

1. What is the formula for calculating the height of a diver off a springboard?

The formula for calculating the height of a diver off a springboard is h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. How do you measure the height of a diver off a springboard?

The height of a diver off a springboard can be measured by using a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance between the diver's starting position and the surface of the water.

3. Can the height of a diver off a springboard be affected by other factors?

Yes, the height of a diver off a springboard can be affected by factors such as the angle of the springboard, the diver's speed and trajectory, and the air resistance.

4. How can the height of a diver off a springboard be used in diving competitions?

The height of a diver off a springboard is used as one of the criteria for judging in diving competitions. Divers who are able to achieve greater heights are typically awarded higher scores.

5. Is the formula for calculating the height of a diver off a springboard the same for all types of diving?

No, the formula may vary slightly for different types of diving, such as platform diving or synchronized diving. However, the basic principle of using gravity and time to calculate the height remains the same.