1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Submerged Diver Apparent Height

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 151 -tall diver is standing completely submerged on the bottom of a swimming pool full of water. You are sitting on the end of the diving board, almost directly over her. How tall does the diver appear to be?
    2. Relevant equations
    n1sin theta1= n2 sin theta2 ??

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly I do not even know where to begin... so any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you know about apparent depth? The diver's head is at an apparent depth and so are her feet. The difference between apparent depths is the diver's apparent height.

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    So after reading my book I found something that talks about a diver. The problem is it talks about finding the diameter of the circle of which you can see in the water. D= 2h tan theta c. Theta c= sin^-1 (1.00/1.33) for the water air boundary and h is the depth of water. This is all I can find even close to the problem in the book. In the problem however we are not given any information about the angle just that he is right above. If he is at at 90 degree angle I don't see how he can tell a height at all. He would just see his head. I don't have any information about the depth of the water or the apparent depth of the diver. So I am really frustrated with this problem.

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Feb 6, 2010 #5
    THANK YOU SO MUCH. I seriously have tried everything! I am really confused on why my book does not have the formula in it. But thank you again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook