Freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward

• Thread starter RaeZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freefall
In summary: If an object has constant acceleration while the velocity changes from v0 to vf, how can you express the average velocity? Average velocity can be found by taking the average of the velocities over a certain period of time.
RaeZ

Homework Statement

A diver jumps vertically straight up off of a platform 3 meters above the surface of a pool below. The diver hits the water and comes to rest in 0.80 seconds after traveling through 3.6 vertical meters of water. (See the diagram below). Assume the acceleration of the diver through the water is constant. The goal of this problem is to work backwards to eventually find the velocity of the diver at the instant the diver leaves the platform.

Find both the velocity with which the diver hits the water and the acceleration that the diver experienced when slowing down through the water.

Homework Equations

d=v_0t+.5at^2
v=v_0+at
v^2=v_0+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to determine the final velocity of the diver(when they hit the water) without either a known initial velocity or the distance they traveled from their max height to the water.
I drew the diagram for this and looked at previous problems but none gave as little information. I also tried to use the third equation with v_0=0 and d=3 for the fall from it's maximum height to the water, but this doesn't make sense since the displacement was more than three since they jumped upwards from 3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I drew the diagram for this and looked at previous problems but none gave as little information. I also tried to use the third equation with v_0=0 and d=3 for the fall from it's maximum height to the water, but this doesn't make sense since the displacement was more than three since they jumped upwards from 3

Welcome to PF!

See if you can find the the speed the diver hits the water by considering just the motion while in the water.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

See if you can find the the speed the diver hits the water by considering just the motion while in the water.
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

I have the same problem with that though, I could use the third equation and solve for v_0, with a final velocity of zero, but i do not know their acceleration in the water...

You can try to combine the equations that you wrote in such a way that you eliminate the acceleration and express V0 in terms of the time and distance.

Or, try to use the concept of average velocity.

TSny said:
You can try to combine the equations that you wrote in such a way that you eliminate the acceleration and express V0 in terms of the time and distance.

Or, try to use the concept of average velocity.
How can I eliminate acceleration, the acceleration water is different than the acceleration in air

Two unknown, so you need 2 equations.

RaeZ said:
How can I eliminate acceleration, the acceleration water is different than the acceleration in air
"Eliminating the acceleration" means to combine the equations to produce a new equation in which the acceleration does not appear in the new equation but the initial velocity, time, and distance do appear. So, you won't need to know the acceleration to solve for the initial velocity.

Or, another approach is to use the concept of average velocity. If an object has constant acceleration while the velocity changes from v0 to vf, how can you express the average velocity?

1. What is the freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward?

The freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward is a physics problem that involves calculating the trajectory and motion of a diver who jumps off a diving board at an angle, instead of straight down. The problem assumes that there is no air resistance and that the only force acting on the diver is gravity.

2. How is the freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward different from a regular freefall?

The main difference between the freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward and a regular freefall is that the initial velocity of the diver is not solely in the downward direction. In a regular freefall, the object starts with an initial velocity of 0 m/s in the vertical direction, while in the freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward, the initial velocity has both horizontal and vertical components.

3. What are the key equations used to solve the freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward?

To solve the freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward, the equations of motion (displacement, velocity, and acceleration) are used, along with the kinematic equations that relate these variables. The key equations used are:

• Displacement: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: a = g = -9.8 m/s2

4. How does the angle at which the diver jumps affect their trajectory in the freefall problem?

The angle at which the diver jumps affects their trajectory in two ways. First, the horizontal distance the diver travels before hitting the water is determined by the initial horizontal velocity, which is determined by the angle of the jump. The larger the angle, the further the diver will travel horizontally before falling. Second, the angle also affects the height reached by the diver. The steeper the angle, the lower the maximum height the diver will reach.

5. What are the assumptions made in solving the freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward?

The freefall problem of a diver jumping horizontally upward makes several assumptions in order to simplify the problem and make it more manageable to solve. These assumptions include:

• No air resistance
  • Constant acceleration due to gravity (g = -9.8 m/s2)
  • The diver is a point mass (no body or limb movement is considered)
  • The diving board is assumed to be at ground level (no height is given for the board)