1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help coming up with dl in cylindrical coords.

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    Untitled-2.png

The whole problem consists of several parts, but my issue is to come up with a dl for the peice of wire shown.

Im trying to find the force on the wire due to a magnetic field produced by another wire running along the x-axis (not shown in pic).

[tex]\vect{B} = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi s}\hat{\phi}[/tex]

I am trying to get my dl x B so I can integrate, but I cannot come up with a dl. The reason I'm having trouble is because I know in cylindrical, for dl, both phi hat and s hat change along integration path for dl.

Someone please help I think I've tried every method except for the one that works. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I'm interested in this. It seems to me you need to use
    B = μI/(2πr) = μI/(2πy) for the magnetic field at height y caused by the wire running along the x-axis. And for the force on the wire, wouldn't you just use
    F = ILB or dF = IBdL ? You would then have to express dL as (cos θ)*dx to get an element of length perpendicular to B.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook