Magnetic field in an offset hole in a conductor cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a long wire with a uniform current in the +z direction and a cylindrical hole drilled out of the conductor. The task is to determine the magnetic field in the hole region. By using the superposition of two cylinders with different current densities, the magnitude of the field is found to be (μ0Ib)/(2π(R^2-a^2)). To find the direction, it is suggested to convert to Cartesian coordinates and write the magnetic field as a vector, using Ampere's law. The direction can be determined by considering the contour used in the integral and the direction of the magnetic field along that contour.
zweebna

Homework Statement

A long (infinite) wire (cylindrical conductor of radius R, whose axis coincides with the z axis carries a uniformly distributed current I in the +z direction. A cylindrical hole is drilled out of the conductor,
parallel to the z axis, (see figure above for geometry). The center of the hole is at x = b , and the radius of the hole is a. Determine the magnetic field in the hole region.
upload_2016-12-12_17-23-10.png

Homework Equations

##\oint B \cdot dl = \mu_0 I_\text{enc}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that I have the magnitude of the field, but I'm unsure how to get the direction. For the magnitude, I took a superposition of a cylinder with current density ##J## and a cylinder of current density ##-J## where the hole is. The magnitude of the magnetic field of each cylinder is $$B_1=\frac{\mu_0 J}{2}s_1 $$ and $$B_2=- \frac{\mu_0 J}{2}s_2 $$ respectively. Adding magnitudes together gives $$B_1+B_2=\frac{\mu_0 J}{2}(s_1-s_2)$$ and since ##s_1-s_2 = b## and ##J=\frac{I}{2 \pi (R^2-a^2)}## for the magnitude in the hole I get $$B_1+B_2=\frac{\mu_0 I b}{2 \pi (R^2-a^2)}$$
My professor said it would be easier to find the direction if I convert to cartesian coordinates, but my book says that the ##\hat{s}## direction in cartesian coordinates is ##cos\phi \hat{x} +sin \phi \hat{y}## but that would seem to give $$B_1+B_2=\frac{\mu_0 I b}{2 \pi (R^2-a^2)} (cos\phi \hat{x} +sin \phi \hat{y})$$ which definitely does not make sense.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-12_13-42-16.png
    upload_2016-12-12_13-42-16.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 619
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what s is. Your expressions for B should be involve the radii a and b. As for direction, write B as a vector instead, starting with Ampere's law written properly as $$\oint{\vec B \cdot \vec{dl}}=\mu_0 I_{enc}.$$Think about what contour you use in the integral, and what direction ##\vec B## takes along that contour.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as the movement of electrons in a conductor.

2. How is a magnetic field created in an offset hole in a conductor cylinder?

In an offset hole in a conductor cylinder, a magnetic field is created when an electric current flows through the conductor. This current creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor, which is then altered by the presence of the offset hole.

3. What is the purpose of studying the magnetic field in an offset hole in a conductor cylinder?

Studying the magnetic field in an offset hole in a conductor cylinder is important for understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in various geometric configurations. It also has practical applications in areas such as electromagnetism and electrical engineering.

4. How is the strength of the magnetic field affected by the offset hole in a conductor cylinder?

The strength of the magnetic field in an offset hole in a conductor cylinder is affected by the size and shape of the hole, as well as the distance from the hole to the conductor. In general, the magnetic field will be weaker in the area around the hole compared to the rest of the conductor.

5. What are some potential uses for the magnetic field in an offset hole in a conductor cylinder?

The magnetic field in an offset hole in a conductor cylinder has applications in areas such as magnetic sensors, electromagnetic motors, and magnetic resonators. It can also be utilized in engineering designs to control and manipulate magnetic fields for specific purposes.