Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help deciding summer classes.

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    I have just decided to go back to school at 31 to pursue a second degree in Math (My first degree is in Political Science). I tested into intermediate Alegbra after not having any Math since the 10th grade. I am about half way through, and have a very almost a perfect average.

My question to the forum is what do you think about taking Pre-Calculus (first 5 week session), and Calculus (second 5 week session) this summer? The college I am going to offers either one 8 week session or two 5 week sessions. Do you think that it will be to intense for 5 weeks, or is it doable, if that is my only class? My second option would be take just Pre-Calculus over the 8 week session, and Calculus 1 in the fall. The downside is like I said I am 31 and would love to play catch up if I can.

Thanks,

EG

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2
    precalc, yes over 5 weeks.

calc, maybe not... that you should take your time in. although try signing up for it in the second 5 week session and seeing how you like it/if you get enough out of it.

im sure others can give more detailed answers.

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3
    If you're currently in intermediate algebra, the next step usually college algebra, then trigonometry, then pre-calculus. But if you've already got this covered, & you feel you know the information well, then I'd say yes to the pre-calculus class. Maybe not to the calculus class unless you feel you've really got you mathematics down.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook