Need help finding exponential matrix e^AT

In summary, In this conversation, the question was to find e^AT given a matrix A. The speaker found the eigenvalues of A to be -2,-2,-2 and was unsure of how to solve the problem with three identical eigenvalues. The expert suggests splitting the matrix A into easy commuting parts, namely a diagonal part and an off-diagonal part. The speaker is then guided through the process of finding the matrix exponential by first finding e^(Ct) and then using it to find e^(Bt). Finally, the expert confirms that the resulting matrix looks correct and reminds the speaker to check that B and C commute before using the formula e^(B+C)=e^B*e^C.
bengaltiger14

Homework Statement

Given the matrix: A=[-2 0 0;4 -2 0;1 0 -2], find e^AT.

I found the eigenvalues to be -2,-2,-2.

How do I solve this problem with 3 identical eigenvalues? Do I cube to matrix after plugging in my eigenvalue -2 and then solve it that way?

After plugging in the eigenvalue -2, the resulting matrix is: [0 0 0;4 0 0;1 0 0]

I could eliminate the 1 from row 3,col 1 and end up with two free variables. I am unsure after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can split the matrix A=B+C in such a way that B and C commute (i.e. BC=CB) then you can use e^A=e^B*e^C. Can you figure out how to do this in such a way that e^B and e^C are easy to compute?

splitting the original matrix or the matrix with the -2 eigenvalue?

bengaltiger14 said:
splitting the original matrix or the matrix with the -2 eigenvalue?

The original matrix. If you can split it into easy commuting parts, you don't need the eigenvectors.

I think my prof. wants us to use the Eigenvectors, but i do not know how to split it the way you are talking of.

Do it the easy way first. Split it into a diagonal part and an off-diagonal part. Do they commute? The off-diagonal part is nilpotent, it's easy to find both exponentials.

I am not sure how to split as you are talking. But the diagonal would just be a diagonal of e^-2t? And everything else just 0?

Yes, the exponential of the diagonal part (call it B) is the diagonal matrix with entries e^(-2). 'Everything else' is the matrix C=[0,0,0;4,0,0;-2,0,0]. e^C isn't 0. What is it? Notice that C^2=0 and put it into the series definition of the matrix exponential.

e^C would be: C=[0,0,0;e^4t,0,0;e^-2t,0,0]

bengaltiger14 said:
e^C would be: C=[0,0,0;e^4t,0,0;e^-2t,0,0]

Not at ALL. e^C=I+C+C^2/2!+C^3/3!+... Isn't it? And don't forget before you can say e^(B+C)=e^B*e^C you HAVE to show B and C commute.

So, the resulting matrix would be: [e^-2t,0,0;4e^-2t,e^-2t,0;e^-2t,0,e^-2t]

Does this look right?

bengaltiger14 said:
So, the resulting matrix would be: [e^-2t,0,0;4e^-2t,e^-2t,0;e^-2t,0,e^-2t]

Does this look right?

No, not yet. Concentrate on e^(Ct) first. It's I+Ct+(Ct)^2/2!+... What is that? I just noticed that t floating around. You'll have to add it to some of my previous posts.

That is: [1,0,0;4t,1,0;1t,0,1]

The e^C*eB = [e^-2t,0,0;4te^-2t,e^-2t,0;te^-2t,0,e^-2t]

bengaltiger14 said:
That is: [1,0,0;4t,1,0;1t,0,1]

The e^C*eB = [e^-2t,0,0;4te^-2t,e^-2t,0;te^-2t,0,e^-2t]

That looks much better. You did check B and C commute, right? It's necessary.

What is an exponential matrix?

An exponential matrix is a type of matrix that follows a specific mathematical formula involving the matrix's entries and powers of a constant. In simpler terms, it is a matrix raised to a power.

What is the formula for finding the exponential matrix e^AT?

The formula for finding the exponential matrix e^AT is e^(A*t) = I + (A*t) + (A^2*t^2)/2! + (A^3*t^3)/3! + ... + (A^n*t^n)/n! where A is the square matrix and t is the power.

Why do we need to find exponential matrix e^AT?

Exponential matrix e^AT is useful in solving differential equations, predicting future values in a time series, and in various other mathematical applications.

What are the steps to find the exponential matrix e^AT?

The steps to find the exponential matrix e^AT are:1. Find the square matrix A.2. Determine the desired power t.3. Calculate the matrix A raised to the desired power A^t.4. Divide the result by the factorial of the power (A^t)/(t!).5. Add the identity matrix I to the result.6. Simplify the final result if possible.

Can any matrix be raised to a power to get an exponential matrix e^AT?

No, only square matrices (matrices with the same number of rows and columns) can be raised to a power to get an exponential matrix e^AT. Additionally, the matrix A must also have all real or complex entries and be invertible.