Need help, from chemists or maybe nuclear engineers

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for removing carbon deposits from a steel pan caused by burnt olive oil. Suggestions include using nail polish remover, baking soda, and strong oxidizers such as bleach or peroxide. Non-toxic and non-flammable options such as dish soap and citrus cleaners are also mentioned. However, some dangerous and toxic options like carbon disulfide and chlorinated solvents are advised against. The conversation also delves into the topic of sauteing and appropriate cooking temperatures.
It might not work in this application, but I've had pretty good luck cleaning stuff with nitro-powder solvent (made for cleaning gun bores).

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
It might not work in this application, but I've had pretty good luck cleaning stuff with nitro-powder ...
Which reminds me, Rach...have you tried exploding an A-bomb under your frying pan? I imagine that'll separate all the burnt-oil molecules from the pan! If it doesn't work, it's not my fault - I asked this nuclear engineer friend of mine, and this was his idea.

Gokul43201 said:
Which reminds me, Rach...have you tried exploding an A-bomb under your frying pan? I imagine that'll separate all the burnt-oil molecules from the pan! If it doesn't work, it's not my fault - I asked this nuclear engineer friend of mine, and this was his idea.

:rofl: Hey, wait! I don't live that far away from Pittsburgh! No, don't do it!

Just remember, if you try the Coke or mapp torches, don't set the Coke bottle down on your carpet if you've applied the torch to it! :biggrin:

I'll let everyone know if I hear a large explosion from the north as you keep experimenting. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Just remember, if you try the Coke or mapp torches, don't set the Coke bottle down on your carpet if you've applied the torch to it! :biggrin:
:rofl: Lest we forget... "A unique method for defrosting frozen soda" :rofl:

I vouch for the Oven Cleaner method. I've cleaned the inside of plenty of stubborn burnt pans that way. And if you happen to have copper-clad pots, you can get the copper bottom, nice and shiny, using a swab of Naval Jelly (active ingredient phosphoric acid), let set overnight. Wash off and voilà.

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
using a swab of Naval Jelly (active ingredient phosphoric acid)

That sounds a bit harsh for belly buttons. :bugeye: Oh, naval, not navel. :tongue:

You mentioned a carbon deposit... Would it be better described as a gum or varnish? Is it slightly sticky to the touch? If so, your idea to use KOH or NaOH would work. If you don't want to invest in drain cleaner, try adding a solid vegetable grease to the deposit and allow it to sit overnight. Crisco can dissolve lots of gums that way. Clean the Crisco as usual.

Allow me to interject, if you have a wok or any pan that you use to stir fry, never ever wash it; it's the secret of good tasting food; now if your cooking something where bacteria may linger: wash it, but if it's stir frying the worst possible thing you can ever do is wash your pan.

Dya think that x hundred degrees C makes any difference washed or unwashed to bacteria, and so what do you keep in that pan(flavour) Clean of the muck maybe: you are all young but I as a sensei will teach you: the Chinese never wash there pans if used for stir fry, and if you prepare food that way neither should you, it's the secret of good stir fry. Wok= never wash. You do and you lose all the flavour, the best Chinese meals are prepared in a pan that has absorbed the flavour of countless generations.

Grasshopper you are keen and I appreciate that but you lack wisdom, I am the master of stirfry:wink::smile:

Obvious but true.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Allow me to interject, if you have a wok or any pan that you use to stir fry, never ever wash it; it's the secret of good tasting food; now if your cooking something where bacteria may linger: wash it, but if it's stir frying the worst possible thing you can ever do is wash your pan.

Dya think that x hundred degrees C makes any difference washed or unwashed to bacteria, and so what do you keep in that pan(flavour) Clean of the muck maybe: you are all young but I as a sensei will teach you: the Chinese never wash there pans if used for stir fry, and if you prepare food that way neither should you, it's the secret of good stir fry. Wok= never wash. You do and you lose all the flavour, the best Chinese meals are prepared in a pan that has absorbed the flavour of countless generations.

Grasshopper you are keen and I appreciate that but you lack wisdom, I am the master of stirfry:wink::smile:

Obvious but true.
The reasons that we ever washed our steel or cast-iron pans are rare, but reasonable. It is best to keep low-temperature cooking and complex sauces to other pots. Our big cast-iron frying pan has not been washed in a long time; the smaller ones may have been washed in the last couple of years, and the wok has been washed more recently since we have cooked things hot and fast, then added sauces to make one-dish meals.

<h2>1. What is the difference between a chemist and a nuclear engineer?</h2><p>A chemist primarily studies the composition, properties, and reactions of substances at the molecular level, while a nuclear engineer focuses on the design, development, and operation of nuclear power plants and other nuclear technologies.</p><h2>2. Can a chemist also work in the field of nuclear engineering?</h2><p>Yes, there is overlap between the two fields, as both involve understanding and manipulating the behavior of atoms and molecules. However, specialized knowledge and training in nuclear engineering may be necessary for certain roles in the field.</p><h2>3. How can a chemist help with nuclear engineering?</h2><p>A chemist's expertise in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules can be applied to developing new materials and processes for nuclear technologies, as well as analyzing and improving existing systems.</p><h2>4. What are some common challenges faced by chemists and nuclear engineers?</h2><p>Both fields involve working with hazardous materials and potentially dangerous processes, so safety is a top priority. Additionally, both fields require a strong understanding of complex scientific principles and the ability to problem-solve and think critically.</p><h2>5. What are some current developments in the field of nuclear engineering that chemists may be interested in?</h2><p>Some current areas of research and development in nuclear engineering include advanced reactor designs, nuclear waste management, and nuclear fusion. Chemists may be involved in developing new materials for these technologies or improving processes for their production and use.</p>

1. What is the difference between a chemist and a nuclear engineer?

A chemist primarily studies the composition, properties, and reactions of substances at the molecular level, while a nuclear engineer focuses on the design, development, and operation of nuclear power plants and other nuclear technologies.

2. Can a chemist also work in the field of nuclear engineering?

Yes, there is overlap between the two fields, as both involve understanding and manipulating the behavior of atoms and molecules. However, specialized knowledge and training in nuclear engineering may be necessary for certain roles in the field.

3. How can a chemist help with nuclear engineering?

A chemist's expertise in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules can be applied to developing new materials and processes for nuclear technologies, as well as analyzing and improving existing systems.

4. What are some common challenges faced by chemists and nuclear engineers?

Both fields involve working with hazardous materials and potentially dangerous processes, so safety is a top priority. Additionally, both fields require a strong understanding of complex scientific principles and the ability to problem-solve and think critically.

5. What are some current developments in the field of nuclear engineering that chemists may be interested in?

Some current areas of research and development in nuclear engineering include advanced reactor designs, nuclear waste management, and nuclear fusion. Chemists may be involved in developing new materials for these technologies or improving processes for their production and use.