Need help getting back into a helpdesk position

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary: There are very few Information Technology jobs around in my area according to indeed.com. I'm currently contributing to open source on GitHub (which is legally a job, but it's not a paid job). Even the computer science and technology-related degree programs are just common knowledge in it (very, very basic coursework). That would mean that honestly, there's no point in getting a degree in it if it's just common knowledge and I can self-study it and not be deep in student loan debt.The most common way to get into a Help Desk position is through an internship (which are usually paid, although not much). Sometimes they have rules about only hiring recent/current students for internships though, so
TheMacNerd
Hi,
So there are very little Information Technology jobs around in my area according to indeed.com. I'm currently contributing to open source on GitHub (which is legally a job, but it's not a paid job). I'm really trying to get back into my field of computer science/information technology, but the problem is that there are very few openings in my area for helpdesk positions that I'm qualified for. I have a high school diploma and some college (never finished). Even the computer science and technology-related degree programs are just common knowledge in it (very, very basic coursework). That would mean that honestly, there's no point in getting a degree in it if it's just common knowledge and I can self-study it and not be deep in student loan debt. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for getting another helpdesk position?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMacNerd said:
there are very few openings in my area for helpdesk positions that I'm qualified for. ... does anyone have any suggestions for getting another helpdesk position?
Become qualified. Employers won’t hire unqualified employees.

Is there another area where jobs that you are qualified for are plentiful?

TheMacNerd said:
Hi,
So there are very little Information Technology jobs around in my area according to indeed.com.

I'm really trying to get back into my field of computer science/information technology, but the problem is that there are very few openings in my area for helpdesk positions that I'm qualified for.

If you're looking for good advice, you shouldn't force your potential advisors to go through a lengthy deductive process to figure out your situation.

If you don't reveal where "my area" is, then you might miss hearing from an adivsor who happens to be in the same area.

The title of the thread suggests that you once had helpdesk job. Did you? What was it?

It isn't clear what special aspects of the wide field of Computer Science you consider to be your field. For example, some people know about programming but not how to administer computer networks. Your previous posts on the forum suggest you have obtained various specialized certifications. Are you implying helpdesk work is "your field"?

It's interesting that you consider Computer Science degree programs to be "common knowledge". What programs are you talking about?

TheMacNerd said:
Hi,

So there are very little Information Technology jobs around in my area according to indeed.com. I'm currently contributing to open source on GitHub (which is legally a job, but it's not a paid job). I'm really trying to get back into my field of computer science/information technology, but the problem is that there are very few openings in my area for helpdesk positions that I'm qualified for. I have a high school diploma and some college (never finished). Even the computer science and technology-related degree programs are just common knowledge in it (very, very basic coursework). That would mean that honestly, there's no point in getting a degree in it if it's just common knowledge and I can self-study it and not be deep in student loan debt. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for getting another helpdesk position?
I've never worked in a helpdesk position, but from what I've seen the most common way to start is through an internship (which are usually paid, although not much). Sometimes they have rules about only hiring recent/current students for internships though, so you might have to take at least one more class to become eligible.

Also, certifications seem important there (very different from my world of software development, where no one cares). You can probably self-study for those, but you'll have to pay to take the certification tests.

Edit- can I assume from your username that you're the most knowledgeable about macs? That's a good start, but might be the hardest way to get Help Desk positions. They probably have a lot more need for people to work on Linux or Windows systems.

I did a Service Technician role while I worked in retail, which helped me achieve a IT/help desk position later on. Would two or three months at a less reputable place set you back?

Stephen Tashi said:
If you don't reveal where "my area" is, then you might miss hearing from an advisor who happens to be in the same area.

According to his profile page here on PF, @TheMacNerd is from Penfield, New York (which is near Rochester in upstate New York), assuming he still lives there.

Likes berkeman

1. How can I improve my resume to land a helpdesk position?

To improve your resume for a helpdesk position, make sure to highlight any previous experience in customer service or technical support. Include relevant skills and certifications, and tailor your resume to the specific job posting. Additionally, showcasing any relevant education or training in IT and highlighting your problem-solving abilities can also make your resume stand out to potential employers.

2. What skills are most important for a helpdesk position?

The most important skills for a helpdesk position include strong communication and customer service skills, knowledge of various computer systems and software, and the ability to troubleshoot and solve technical issues. Additionally, having patience, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask are also important for success in a helpdesk role.

3. How can I prepare for a helpdesk interview?

To prepare for a helpdesk interview, research the company and familiarize yourself with their products and services. Practice common interview questions and have examples ready to showcase your problem-solving abilities and customer service skills. Additionally, be prepared to talk about your technical knowledge and experience, and ask questions about the role and the company during the interview.

4. What can I expect in a helpdesk role?

In a helpdesk role, you can expect to handle a variety of technical support requests from customers or employees. You will need to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues, provide excellent customer service, and document all interactions and resolutions. Additionally, you may also need to escalate more complex issues to higher levels of support.

5. How can I stand out in a helpdesk position?

To stand out in a helpdesk position, consistently provide excellent customer service and demonstrate strong technical skills. Continuously seek to improve your knowledge and skills in the IT field, and actively seek feedback from your superiors. Additionally, being a team player, having a positive attitude, and being able to adapt to new technologies and processes can also make you stand out in a helpdesk role.