Interview soon at local phone company this week

In summary: The job description says that you must have a high school diploma, college exposure, relevant customer service experience handling agitated customers, minimum 6 months to a year of technical support experience, basic knowledge of internet application software, basic operating system knowledge, and basic knowledge of computer hardware.
TheMacNerd
Hi,
I have an interview at one of my local phone companies for a tech, internet helpdesk 1 position (something that I'm qualified for) (I'm trying to get out of dishwashing ASAP for obvious reasons). There's paid training both in classroom and hands on. It's a full time position. I'm attending an information session at the end of this week to learn more about the position and the company. I'm also going to start my sole proprietorship social media marketing agency soon. This might be a better opportunity/smart move to get out of dishwashing ASAP and back into the technology field.

Likes CivilSigma
Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats! I hope it goes well.

My wife has worked in similar positions for a long time (on-phone customer support). What kinds of skills have they said they want in this position (beyond the obvious need for good technical knowledge)? For instance, is there a minimum typing speed requirement? Will they be giving you a typing test? How long is the training class, and how long is the probationary period? If it's like my wife's current position, the training went on for several weeks, and you were not allowed to miss or be late to a single class.

Likes CivilSigma
Yes it's similar to that I guess. The training lasts 6 weeks I'm pretty sure and it's both classroom and hands on. No there's no typing test as far as I know. There's an information session that I'm planning on attending at the end of this week to learn more about the company and the position.

Likes CivilSigma and berkeman
berkeman said:
Congrats! I hope it goes well.

My wife has worked in similar positions for a long time (on-phone customer support). What kinds of skills have they said they want in this position (beyond the obvious need for good technical knowledge)? For instance, is there a minimum typing speed requirement? Will they be giving you a typing test? How long is the training class, and how long is the probationary period? If it's like my wife's current position, the training went on for several weeks, and you were not allowed to miss or be late to a single class.

the job description says that i must have a high school diploma (already have), college exposure (already have), relevant customer service experience handling agitated customers, minimum 6 months to a year of technical support experience (already have), basic knowledge of internet application software, basic operating system knowledge (windows xp to windows 10), basic knowledge of computer hardware (already have)

Likes CivilSigma and berkeman

1. What should I wear to the interview at the local phone company?

It is important to dress professionally for your interview at the local phone company. This means wearing a suit or business attire that is clean, well-fitted, and appropriate for the workplace. It is better to be overdressed than underdressed for an interview.

2. How should I prepare for the interview at the local phone company?

Before your interview, research the company and the position you are applying for. This will help you have a better understanding of the company and show your interest in the position. Practice common interview questions and prepare examples of your skills and experiences that relate to the job. Also, make sure to bring a copy of your resume and any other important documents.

3. What can I expect during the interview at the local phone company?

The interview at the local phone company will likely consist of a mix of behavioral, technical, and situational questions. The interviewer may also ask about your previous work experience and how it relates to the job you are applying for. They may also provide you with information about the company and ask if you have any questions for them.

4. How long will the interview at the local phone company last?

The length of the interview at the local phone company can vary, but it typically lasts between 30 minutes to an hour. This may depend on the number of questions the interviewer has and the amount of information they want to share with you about the company and the position.

5. What are some tips for a successful interview at the local phone company?

Some tips for a successful interview at the local phone company include arriving early, being well-prepared, and maintaining a positive and professional attitude throughout the interview. Make sure to listen carefully to the questions and provide thoughtful and specific answers. It is also important to showcase your enthusiasm for the company and the position, and to ask any relevant questions you may have at the end of the interview.