Need help identifying this object

• Thread starter joshuamc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around identifying an object that was found for sale at an antique shop. Some suggested it could be an X-ray tube, while others thought it might be a high power radio station transmitter tube or a diode tube used in motor-generator sets. Eventually, it was identified as a thyratron, a type of triode tube used for high power applications. Some members provided additional information and shared their experiences with similar tubes."
joshuamc
Hi. First post, here and I figured you guys would be able to help me out. I found this for sale today at an antiques shop and after a conversation with the owner, I promised I would try and find out what it is and how much it could be worth - so here I am!

Does anyone have an idea on what this could be? Thanks.

PLxxLl.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
being at medical store, it seems something like X-ray tube

some x-ray tubes photos http://www.lampes-et-tubes.info/p/t2.htm

just a guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have any numbers on it?

I was in a little bit of a hurry, but the only discernible numbering is the 4.2 in red you see on the side, which I was told may be the distance between each of the 4 mounting holes.

The other text says something along the lines of "Reserve Voltage" or something like that.

Also, the tag on it is for the antique store that I found it in. Nothing useful there either.

Could be some kind of high power radio station transmitter tube.

Looks like a diode tube that I've seen used in motor-generator sets. i.e. ac motor to dc generator.

I don't think it's a X-ray tube which would have a gap between the cathode and anode:
smalltube.jpg

But it could be a radio transmitter tube:
BCCOVER235_211.jpg

joshuamc said:
Hi. First post, here and I figured you guys would be able to help me out.

I saw something very like that many years ago in a steel mill. It was a type of very high power triode tube (similar to the "valves" in old amplifiers etc) but instead of being a just a vacuum it contained mercury vapour giving it massively more current carrying capability.

It operated with a heated cathode and nearby control grid (like a conventional triode) and it could withstand forward blocking voltage (if the grid was correctly biased) but once you applied a voltage pulse to the grid to start forward-conduction the mecury vapour made it basically flash over and continue conducting until the AC phase voltage reversal. So essentually it was an electron tube equivalent of a modern thyristor (aka SCR).

Cant remember the exact name but it was something like "thyrotron".

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
Looks like a diode tube that I've seen used in motor-generator sets.

uart said:
I saw something very like that many years ago in a steel mill. It was a type of very high power triode tube (similar to the "valves" in old amplifiers etc) but instead of being a just a vacuum it contained mercury vapour giving it massively more current carrying capability.

You're probably right. A triode not a diode. And the ones I've seen did glow during operation.

dlgoff said:
Interesting. The picture says it contains hydrogen.
Yeah the ones I'd seen looked similar but where for low frequency (mains frequency) phase control application (like an SCR) and contained mercury. According to that wiki article the hygrogen ones where for high frequency / fast risetime applications.

I've seen tubes like this used in electric spot welders. It allows the welder to have variable heat control. It works very much like a lamp dimmer (chopper switch). Most of them have been replaced by the SCR.

dlgoff said:
Looks like a diode tube that I've seen used in motor-generator sets. i.e. ac motor to dc generator.

I don't think it's a X-ray tube which would have a gap between the cathode and anode:
smalltube.jpg

But it could be a radio transmitter tube:
BCCOVER235_211.jpg

I'm new to this Forum, but if the object that you have the blue pen under is what you are wanting to ID, then it is an X-Ray tube, probably made by Phillips or Toshiba. I have a very similar looking one on my mantlepiece. The Anode is on the Right and angled at somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees usually to direct the x-rays out at 90 degrees to the axis of the Tube. It should have a small square Tungsten target imbedded in the Copper heatsink/anode assembly. The Cathode is the Chrome electrode on the left and should have a tungsten filament enclosed. Everything is smooth to prevent corona at the rated kV (70 - 110kv depending on the Tube type) These tubes (I used to replace these tubes often) are used mostly in dental or portable equipment like mobile Image Intensifier systems such as Phillips BV25 'C' arm units for surgical procedures.
Cheers, Warren (retired)
New Zealand (Middle Earth)
Electronics Engineer- Medical & Scientific since 1970

lightupyrday said:
... if the object that you have the blue pen under is what you are wanting to ID, then it is an X-Ray tube, probably made by Phillips or Toshiba.
Welcome to PF.

Yep. I posted a X-ray tube so the OP could compare with his tube.

PLxxLl.jpg

Hi, ok, sorry about that. That device above looks a little similar to the Siemens or Philips Switching Tetrodes and Diode's they used in the Xray switching tank to allow high speed switching of the + - 75kVp to allow for Cine Camera operation so as to reduce patient dosage. Is there any brand name or number stamped into the metal base? How many connections are there at the Cathode end?

It's a thyratron, not an X-ray tube. Basically it can act like a triode-like switch but for very high power levels. I used to use these for switching modulation and power on high power radar magnetrons back in the day.

Question was already answered - it is a thyratron - and discussion about X-ray tubes is just a side effect of people not reading the whole thread before answering. I am closing the thread, if you have something valuable to add, please contact me using PM.

I did not need to look on line to ID that. 40yrs ago I worked on a FPS-90 Radar sysytem that used one very much like that. It operated at 400VDC and glowed a beautiful violet around that upper section.

Thread relocked.

1. What is the purpose of this object?

The purpose of an object can vary based on its design and function. It could be used for storage, transportation, measurement, or any other specific task. To accurately identify the purpose of an object, it is important to gather information about its design, materials, and any accompanying instructions or labeling.

2. How old is this object?

Determining the age of an object can be challenging without proper context. However, there are various methods that scientists use to estimate the age of artifacts, such as radiocarbon dating, dendrochronology, or stratigraphy. These techniques involve analyzing the materials and surroundings of the object to determine its approximate age.

3. What is the composition of this object?

The composition of an object refers to the materials it is made of. This can range from natural materials like wood and metal to synthetic materials like plastic and glass. By examining the physical and chemical properties of an object, scientists can identify its composition and determine its potential uses and functions.

4. Where did this object come from?

The origin of an object can provide valuable information about its purpose and age. To identify the origin of an object, scientists may look at its markings, labels, or any accompanying documentation. They may also analyze the materials and design of the object to determine its place of origin.

5. Can this object be replicated?

Whether or not an object can be replicated depends on its complexity and the available resources and technology. Some objects may be easily replicated using modern methods, while others may require specialized tools and techniques. Scientists may also study an object to understand its construction and design in order to replicate it accurately.