Need Help Identifying Old Optic Device

whig
TL;DR Summary
I have had this is a cabinet for around 45 years. Never knew what it was.
I got this out of an old chemistry lab I cleaned out to use for experiments when I was in college in 1983. I kept it but never knew what it was for. Neat antique box specifically designed for this device. Some optic device with a pivoting mirror. Almost looks like it would be for a laser table set up but I think this predates lasers. Small lens windows. No specific identifying marks or names anywhere. Might be a nice collectible for someone who knows what it is designed for. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN9538.JPG
    DSCN9538.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN9539.JPG
    DSCN9539.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN9541.JPG
    DSCN9541.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN9542.JPG
    DSCN9542.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 32
Science news on Phys.org
I have't seen this exact device yet but what a wonderful suggestion. I will continue to research this angle. Thank you for your kind help!

Larry, Ohio

Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
The mirror might be used to reflect light onto a sample, much like how old microscopes used to work. I'm not sure if this narrows things down much though. Interesting device.

I don't know how that would work with what looks like a very specialized device. Good idea. I would really like to find a picture and/or description of this exact thing somewhere on the internet. haven't found such yet. I was hoping this forum would help and still hoping someone recognizes this. Thank you!

It's a camera lucida microscope, also called Abbe's Camera. You use it in scientific drawing of microscopic objects. This design is quite close to designs from Carl Zeiss, here is one from the end of the 19th century:

http://www.antique-microscopes.com/photos/Abbe's Drawing Camera. htm

This one is a little later, and closer to your design:
https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...n-1920-1950-optical-drawing-aid-camera-lucida

edit: you can search here for more:
http://waywiser.fas.harvard.edu/search/abbe%20type

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes TSny, berkeman, vanhees71 and 3 others
This is exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you very much. It sure is an interesting old device. Merry Christmas.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an optic device?

An optic device is any tool or instrument that uses light to enhance or aid in vision. This can include devices such as telescopes, microscopes, and cameras.

2. How can I identify an old optic device?

Identifying an old optic device can be done through a few steps. First, look for any markings or labels on the device itself. These can provide information on the manufacturer or model. You can also research the device online or consult with an expert in the field.

3. How old is considered "old" for an optic device?

The age of an optic device can vary, but generally anything over 50 years old can be considered old. However, some devices may still be in use today and may not be considered old despite their age.

4. What are some common types of old optic devices?

Some common types of old optic devices include refracting telescopes, reflecting telescopes, compound microscopes, and film cameras. These devices have been used for centuries and have evolved over time.

5. How can I determine the value of an old optic device?

The value of an old optic device can depend on various factors such as its age, condition, rarity, and functionality. You can consult with a collector or appraiser to get an estimate of the device's value. Additionally, online marketplaces and auction sites can give you an idea of how much similar devices are being sold for.