Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help (not Homework question)

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone. I would love for someone to show me quite clearly how to derive [tex]\Delta[/tex]x[tex]\Delta[/tex]p[tex]\geq[/tex][tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex] and separately how to derive the Schrodinger Equation both from using the [x,p] commutator. With [tex]\hat{x}[/tex]=i[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial p}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{p}[/tex]=p (in momentum space). Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i am actually planning to write both those derivation in LaTeX tomorrow, since those are very frequently asked questions.

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    Awesome! Thanks so much. If it wouldn't be too much to ask, maybe you could post a link to it in this thread? Thanks again!

5. Feb 6, 2009 #4
    The derivation can be found in Sakurai. There is an equation relating the product of the uncertainties of two conjugate operators to the commutator of the operators. Substituting the [x,p] commutator yields the HUP.

6. Feb 6, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the derivations can be found in almost any QM textbook

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6
    So I looked throughout my quantum textbook but there is not a derivation of these two processes specifically in there. malawi_glenn, I was wondering if you were able to LaTeX those fellas yet or not. Thanks for your time.

8. Feb 10, 2009 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

which book do you have? I have sakurai - modern QM, and it derives both HUP and SE. In my opinion, it is THE quantum mechanics textbook. But since it is dealing with a second course in QM, it requires "the basics" so in that opinion "Quantum Mechanics - a modern development " by ballentine is better, but if you can a copy of sakurais book - you have everything you need.

Well we got some library items done on the HUP atleast, shrödinger will be next weekend.

There are a lot of old threads regarding the derivation of SE, you can search for those meanwhile.

This is the item I did, https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=207 you perhaps need to study the three first items under "see also" (to the right) which I also did.

Enjoy, and please tell me/us is a step which you can't understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook