Need Help on Gravitation Potential Energy Problem

In summary, the gravitational potential energy of the two-particle system is -5.41E-11 J. If you triple the separation between the particles, the work done by the gravitational force between the particles is -9.16E-12 J. You do not do any work.
brett812718
[SOLVED] Need Help on Gravitation Potential Energy Problem

Homework Statement

(a) A 5.3 kg particle and a 3.0 kg particle have a gravitational attraction with a magnitude of 2.6 x10^-12 N. What is the gravitational potential energy of the two-particle system?

(b) If you triple the separation between the particles, how much work is done by the gravitational force between the particles?

(c) How much work is done by you?

Homework Equations

F=(GmM)/r^2
U=-(GmM)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

First I used the given information to solve for r using Newtons law of gravitation. Then I pluged r=1.96E1 into the potential energy equation to get -5.41E-11J but that was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
brett812718 said:

Homework Statement

(a) A 5.3 kg particle and a 3.0 kg particle have a gravitational attraction with a magnitude of 2.6 x10^-12 N. What is the gravitational potential energy of the two-particle system?

(b) If you triple the separation between the particles, how much work is done by the gravitational force between the particles?

(c) How much work is done by you?

Homework Equations

F=(GmM)/r^2
U=-(GmM)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

First I used the given information to solve for r using Newtons law of gravitation. Then I pluged r=1.96E1 into the potential energy equation to get -5.41E-11J but that was wrong.
Recheck your arithmetic, you separation value is incorrect.

is R=2.012E1 and U=-5.25E-11 correct

brett812718 said:
is R=2.012E1 and U=-5.25E-11 correct
Correct indeed :approve:

Also would the solution to part b be U=-(GMm)/3r

brett812718 said:
Also would the solution to part b be U=-(GMm)/3r
Not quite, the work done is change in gravitational potential energy.

Work=((-GMm)/3r)-((-GMm)/r)

brett812718 said:
Work=((-GMm)/3r)-((-GMm)/r)
Much better :approve:

I got 3.5E-11J but that was also incorrect

brett812718 said:
I got 3.5E-11J but that was also incorrect
I get something different. Furthermore, be careful with the sign.

I got ((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J and ((-GMm)/r)=-5.25E-11J
is((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J correct?

brett812718 said:
I got ((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J and ((-GMm)/r)=-5.25E-11J
is((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J correct?
Yes, your calculations are correct, just be aware of the sign of your final answer.

work=-3.50E-11J

because work is equal to the negative change in potential energy

and part c is 3.50E-11J

brett812718 said:
work=-3.50E-11J
Correct.

thank you for your help

brett812718 said:
thank you for your help
A pleasure

1. What is the definition of gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the amount of work that is required to move an object from one point to another in a gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point.

3. What is the reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy?

The reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy is usually chosen to be at infinity, where the gravitational potential energy is considered to be zero. This allows for easy comparison of potential energies between different objects.

4. How does the mass and height affect gravitational potential energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational potential energy. Similarly, the higher the object is placed, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This is because both factors contribute to a greater gravitational force and distance, which results in a larger potential energy.

5. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are both forms of mechanical energy. They are directly related, as potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when an object falls from a height, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.