Need help proving solution of a differential equation

In summary, you integrate y=-xc/(1-xc) and end up with y/(1-y)=x+C. Then you need to raise the entire right side of the equation to the e power.
furth721
I need help proving the general soultion to this equation, dy/dx=(y-(y^2))/x, is x/(x+C)

where C cannot equal -x. When I separate the variables and integrate I get

ln|y|-ln|1-y|=ln|x|+C, and I cannot make this look like the general solution. I'm not sure if

I did the integration wrong but I think it is right. I am not too sure what to do after I

integrate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integration is correct. Try combining the ln y functions and then raising both sides to the e power. From there, it should just be a simplification problem to solve.

Once you simplify, you may not see it right away I noticed when doing the simplification myself.

You should end up with y=-xc/(1-xc) but if we multiply the top and the bottom by (-1/c)/(-1/c), we would get x/[(-1/c)+x]. -1/c=c2 or C depending on how you want to notate it. Thus, yielding x/(C+x)

Im not sure how you ended up with y=-xc/(1-xc) when I combine the ln functions and raise to the e power I get y/(1-y)=x+C then you can change that into (1-y)/y=1/(x+C), then (1/y)-1=(1/x+C) I am not sure if that is the way you did it so can you please elaborate more on how you got y=-xc/(1-xc). Sorry if I am being difficult i usually don't have this much trouble with these kind of problems. thanks

Last edited:
First of all, elnx + c= Cx not x+c.

That means you will have y/(1-y)=Cx

Next, you need to multiple both sides by (1-y); thus, obtaining y=Cx(1-y)=Cx-ycx.

Now just add yCx to both sides. y+yCx=Cx.

Then factor: y(1+Cx)=Cx.

y=Cx/(1+Cx)

Multiple by (1/c)/(1/c) which is equal to 1.

y=x/((1/c)+x) and 1/c is just another constant.

y=x/(C2+x)

A HA! That makes perfect sense now you have to raise the entire right side of the equation to the e not just ln|x| to the e power plus c to the e power, because you raised ln|y/(1-y)| to the e power, wow, thanks you definitely saved me from a lot of frustration

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena, such as growth, decay, and motion.

2. How do I prove a solution of a differential equation?

To prove a solution of a differential equation, you can substitute the solution into the equation and confirm that it satisfies the equation. You can also use techniques such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms to solve the equation and verify the solution.

3. What is the importance of proving a solution of a differential equation?

Proving a solution of a differential equation is important because it ensures that the solution accurately represents the behavior of the system being modeled. It also allows for the prediction of future behavior and the understanding of the underlying mechanisms driving the system.

4. Can I use software to prove a solution of a differential equation?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve and verify solutions of differential equations. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the equations and their solutions before relying solely on software.

5. What are some common techniques for proving solutions of differential equations?

Some common techniques for proving solutions of differential equations include substitution, separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. Additionally, understanding the properties of differential equations, such as linearity and uniqueness of solutions, can also aid in proving solutions.