1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help proving solution of a differential equation

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    I need help proving the general soultion to this equation, dy/dx=(y-(y^2))/x, is x/(x+C)

where C cannot equal -x. When I separate the variables and integrate I get

ln|y|-ln|1-y|=ln|x|+C, and I cannot make this look like the general solution. I'm not sure if

I did the integration wrong but I think it is right. Im not too sure what to do after I

integrate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2
    Your integration is correct. Try combining the ln y functions and then raising both sides to the e power. From there, it should just be a simplification problem to solve.

4. Apr 2, 2010 #3
    Once you simplify, you may not see it right away I noticed when doing the simplification myself.

You should end up with y=-xc/(1-xc) but if we multiply the top and the bottom by (-1/c)/(-1/c), we would get x/[(-1/c)+x]. -1/c=c2 or C depending on how you want to notate it. Thus, yielding x/(C+x)

5. Apr 4, 2010 #4
    Im not sure how you ended up with y=-xc/(1-xc) when I combine the ln functions and raise to the e power I get y/(1-y)=x+C then you can change that into (1-y)/y=1/(x+C), then (1/y)-1=(1/x+C) im not sure if that is the way you did it so can you please elaborate more on how you got y=-xc/(1-xc). Sorry if I am being difficult i usually dont have this much trouble with these kind of problems. thanks

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  6. Apr 4, 2010 #5
    First of all, elnx + c= Cx not x+c.

That means you will have y/(1-y)=Cx

Next, you need to multiple both sides by (1-y); thus, obtaining y=Cx(1-y)=Cx-ycx.

Now just add yCx to both sides. y+yCx=Cx.

Then factor: y(1+Cx)=Cx.

y=Cx/(1+Cx)

Multiple by (1/c)/(1/c) which is equal to 1.

y=x/((1/c)+x) and 1/c is just another constant.

y=x/(C2+x)

7. Apr 4, 2010 #6
    A HA!!!!!! That makes perfect sense now you have to raise the entire right side of the equation to the e not just ln|x| to the e power plus c to the e power, because you raised ln|y/(1-y)| to the e power, wow, thanks you definitely saved me from a lot of frustration

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook