1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help reducing exponential rotated plane wave

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    I have an EM problem (michelson interferometerish) where I have a term that I need to reduce. It is

[tex]|1+e^{ik \Delta cos\theta}|^{2}+| e^{ik \Delta sin\theta}|^{2}[/tex]

I have foiled it and squared the last term but is there something that I am missing. I am multiplying it by a large matrix and hope that it reduces to something simple.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are 'k' and 'Δcos(θ)' always real and positive? If so, it simplifies a fair bit. First of all, the second term is easy: it's just 1. The magnitude of a complex exponential is unity.

Similarly, the first term can be simplified a lot by applying the Euler relation for complex exponentials.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    k I'll review that material. I should have said that k is a 4 vectore driven at a frequency in the z direction

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? k is a 4-vector? Like, in the relativistic sense?

I would have thought that k would be the wavevector (an ordinary 3-vector) and k would be its magnitude, which is the wavenumber 2pi/lambda.

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5
    i understand that the second term is 1

but my attempt at reducing the first term

[tex]|1+e^{ik \Delta cos\theta}|=|(1+cos(k \Delta cos\theta))+i sin(k \Delta cos\theta)|[/tex]
    [tex]\sqrt{(1+cos(k \Delta cos\theta))^{2}+sin^{2}(k \Delta cos\theta)}[/tex]
    [tex]=\sqrt{2+2cos(k \Delta cos\theta)}[/tex]

in which I'm stuck

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. Apr 11, 2013 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's squared. So you can get rid of the square root. Then you can add 1 to that. Isn't that much simpler?

8. Apr 11, 2013 #7
    yeah I guess, but i was hoping to be able to take it back into a form that would have exponentials again. I wonder if me dropping the complex conjugate terms in the prior steps be the reason why its not simplifying the way I want it to. I will try with them included i guess

9. Apr 11, 2013 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean complex exponentials? I don't see why you want this, since the magnitude of those two complex numbers obviously gives you a real number, which would seem more desirable. BUT, if you really insist, I suppose you could always express the cosine term in terms of complex exponentials. You know how to do that, right?

What complex conjugate terms?

10. Apr 11, 2013 #9
    I forgot I didn't post the whole problem in the beginning. Disregard the complex conjugate part. This might be helpful need to chug thru this now. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted