Need help regarding shaft material

In summary, the question was whether an acrylic shaft would be suitable for a trike's accumulator shaft, which would hold two cycle ratchets and a sprocket. The main reason for considering acrylic was its weightlessness. However, it was suggested that a hollow metal drive shaft may be a better option as it would likely weigh the same but be more durable.
CrayonK
I'm building a trike and wanted to know if an acrylic shaft would suffice? The accumulator shaft would hold two cycle ratchet and a sprocket.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The main reason behind going for acrylic is the weightlessness.

CrayonK said:
I'm building a trike and wanted to know if an acrylic shaft would suffice? The accumulator shaft would hold two cycle ratchet and a sprocket.

CrayonK said:
The main reason behind going for acrylic is the weightlessness.

Welcome to the PF.

What's a "trike"? I assume it's a 3-wheeled something, but how big is it? How is it powered? How long is the drive shaft? How much torque does the shaft need to withstand?

Using a hollow metal drive shaft would probably work better than a solid acrylic shaft, and would probably weigh about the same...

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a shaft material?

When selecting a shaft material, it is important to consider factors such as the application or purpose of the shaft, the load it will be carrying, the operating environment, and the budget constraints. These factors will help determine the appropriate material that can withstand the required forces and conditions.

2. What are the most commonly used materials for shafts?

The most commonly used materials for shafts include steel, aluminum, and titanium. Steel is a popular choice due to its strength and durability, while aluminum is known for its lightweight properties. Titanium is often used in high-performance applications due to its strength-to-weight ratio.

3. How do I determine the correct shaft material for my specific application?

To determine the correct shaft material for your application, you should consider the required strength, stiffness, and corrosion resistance. You may also need to consult with a materials engineer or conduct tests to ensure the chosen material can withstand the expected load and environment.

4. Are there any special considerations for selecting a shaft material for high-temperature applications?

Yes, high-temperature applications require shaft materials that can withstand the heat without deforming or losing strength. Materials such as stainless steel, Inconel, and Monel are commonly used for high-temperature applications due to their resistance to heat and corrosion.

5. Can I use a lower grade material for my shaft to save costs?

It is not recommended to use a lower grade material for your shaft, as it may not be able to withstand the required forces and could lead to failure. In the long run, using a higher grade material may save you money by avoiding costly repairs or replacements. It is best to consult with a materials engineer to determine the most suitable and cost-effective material for your specific application.