Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help to prove expressions using Fourier Expansion

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    Dear all,

Please help me to prove the Fourier expansion for three different cases as follows. I need some help to show that L.H.S = R.H.S

Case1: when m not equal to 0 and n not equal to 0.

dU^0/dz (1- x/a) - dU^a/dz (x/a) = -(2/m^2 Pi^2)(1- Cos[m*Pi]) [dUn^0/dz - dUn^a/dz]

Case2: when m = 0 and n not equal to 0.

dU^0/dz (1- x/a) - dU^a/dz (x/a) = -1/2 [dUn^0/dz + dUn^a/dz]

Case3: when m not equal to 0 and n = 0.

dU^0/dz (1- x/a) - dU^a/dz (x/a) = 0

where
    dU^0/dz = dUn^0/dz Sin[ n*Pi*x/a] and dU^a/dz = dUn^a/dz Sin[ n*Pi*x/a].

The idea is that firstly using Fourier expansion, to expand (1 - x/a), then multiply with dU^0/dz, similarly, apply Fourier expansion for (x/a), then multiply with dU^a/dz.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I am not too sure what you're saying here, the function 1-x/a does not have a Fourier transform, can you possibly tex up your question

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    Apologies for the unclear statements.
    f1(x) = (1-x/a) can be transformed using Fourier expansion into
    bo +[itex]\Sigma[/itex] bm*Cos[m*Pi*x/a] and

f2(x) = x/a can be transformed using Fourier expansion into
    ao + [itex]\Sigma[/itex]am*Cos[m*Pi*x/a]

Iam aware that the original equation of f(x) = ao +[itex]\Sigma[/itex]am*Cos[m*Pi*x/a] + bm Sin[m*Pi*x/a].

Hope this would helps.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  5. Jun 26, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So:
    [tex]
    f(x)=a_{0}+\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}a_{m}\cos\left(\frac{m\pi x}{a}\right) +b_{m}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi x}{a}\right)
    [/tex]

What is the differential equation you're trying to solve?

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5
    The only available data given to me are as follows:
    -[itex]\frac{dU^{o}}{dz}[/itex] (1-[itex]\frac{x}{a}[/itex]) - [itex]\frac{dU^{a}}{dz}[/itex]([itex]\frac{x}{a}[/itex])..................................(1)

U[itex]^{o}[/itex] = U[itex]^{o}_{n}[/itex] *Sin[[itex]\frac{n*π*x}{a}[/itex]]....................................(2)

U[itex]^{a}[/itex] = U[itex]^{a}_{n}[/itex] *Sin[[itex]\frac{n*π*x}{a}[/itex]]...................................(3)

Case 1: m[itex]\neq[/itex]0 and n[itex]\neq[/itex]0:

eqn(1) = [itex]\frac{-2}{m^2*π^2}[/itex]*[1-cos(m*π)]*[[itex]\frac{dU^{0}_{n}}{dz}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{dU^{a}_{n}}{dz}[/itex]]

Case 2: m = 0 and n[itex]\neq[/itex]0:

eqn(1) = -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]*[[itex]\frac{dU^{0}_{n}}{dz}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{dU^{a}_{n}}{dz}[/itex]]

Case 3: m[itex]\neq[/itex]0 and n = 0:

eqn (1) = 0

Using Fourier expansion, I could expand the following:

([itex]\frac{x}{a}[/itex]) [itex]\approx[/itex] a[itex]_{o}[/itex]+[itex]\sum[/itex] a[itex]_{m}[/itex]*Cos[[itex]\frac{m*Pi*x}{a}[/itex]]

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{0}_{a}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{x}{a}[/itex])*Cos[[itex]\frac{L*m*x}{a}[/itex]] dx=[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{0}_{a} [/itex] a[itex]_{m}[/itex]*Cos[[itex]\frac{m*Pi*x}{a}[/itex]]*Cos[[itex]\frac{L*m*x}{a}[/itex]] dx

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{0}_{a}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{x}{a}[/itex]) Cos[[itex]\frac{L*m*x}{a}[/itex]] dx= [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{0}_{a} [/itex] a[itex]_{m}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][Cos([itex]\frac{m*Pi*x}{a}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{L*Pi*x}{a}[/itex])+Cos([itex]\frac{m*Pi*x}{a}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{L*Pi*x}{a}[/itex])]dx

Note that L = m, then, Iam stucked up to this point. I have no idea how to proceed next.

Similarly, the above expansion can be used for (1 - [itex]\frac{x}{a}[/itex]):

(1-[itex]\frac{x}{a}[/itex]) [itex]\approx[/itex] b[itex]_{o}[/itex]+[itex]\sum[/itex] b[itex]_{m}[/itex]*Cos[[itex]\frac{m*Pi*x}{a}[/itex]]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook