Need help understanding algebra involved with nodal and antinodal lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the number of anti nodal lines in an equation using the formula dsinθmax = n*λ. The conversation also shows the steps for solving for n, which involves manipulating the inequality | n*λ / d ≤ 1 | algebraically.
jono240
There is a crucial aspect of this unit that I am not understanding and that is how to find how many nodal or anti nodal lines are in the equation.

relevant formulas:
So if I am looking for how many anti nodal lines exist I use the formula | dsinθmax = n*λ |

So let's say I have d and λ
d = 51cm and λ = 4

So we need to solve for n

1. Now on the board, the teacher will write the formula | dsinθmax = n*λ |

2. from there we get | sinθmax = (n*λ) / d | which cannot be greater than 1.

3. so | (n*λ) / d ≤ 1 |

4. then we get | n ≤ (d / λ) |

5. n = (51 / 4)

6. n = 12.75

then you get the answer for n.
I just don't get at all how you get from 3. to 4. algebraically
i really need this cleared up. I need to understand how that works. I hope someone can explain it to me
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure if this is real, but regardless, here you go:

[tex]\left| \frac{n\lambda}{d}\leq1\right|[/tex]
[tex]\left| \frac{n\lambda}{d}\frac{d}{\lambda}\leq \frac{d}{\lambda} \right|[/tex]
[tex]\left| n\leq\frac{d}{\lambda}\right|[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What are nodal and antinodal lines?

Nodal and antinodal lines are patterns of constructive and destructive interference that occur in standing waves. In a standing wave, certain points (nodes) do not experience any displacement while others (antinodes) experience maximum displacement.

2. How are nodal and antinodal lines related to algebra?

In order to understand nodal and antinodal lines, one must use algebra to solve equations related to standing waves. This involves using mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and the wave equation to determine the positions and patterns of nodal and antinodal lines.

3. What factors affect the location and number of nodal and antinodal lines?

The location and number of nodal and antinodal lines can be affected by various factors such as the frequency and wavelength of the standing wave, the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, and the boundary conditions of the system.

4. Why is understanding nodal and antinodal lines important?

Understanding nodal and antinodal lines is important in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and quantum mechanics. It allows scientists and engineers to predict and manipulate the behavior of waves, which is crucial in the development of technologies such as musical instruments, lasers, and communication devices.

5. How can one visualize nodal and antinodal lines?

Nodal and antinodal lines can be visualized using various methods such as using a visualization software, creating physical models, or using mathematical equations to plot their locations. Physical demonstrations, such as using a vibrating string or a Chladni plate, can also help visualize these lines.