Need help understanding Lenz's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the direction of the current in different situations and applying Lenz's Law. After some confusion, it is determined that the magnetic field for resistor R is going towards the right, resulting in the current going left when the magnetic field is increased and towards the right when decreased.
pdf

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the direction of the current given certain situations, but do not know how to apply Lenz's Law. Attached a image below-
10ees9f.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

So I figured out how each situation affects the induced current, and that the magnetic field is to the left. For a), the closing of the switch causes an increased magnetic field. If that's the case, shouldn't the current at resistor R flow to the right? The answer is left.

Physics news on Phys.org
pdf said:
So I figured out how each situation affects the induced current, and that the magnetic field is to the left. For a), the closing of the switch causes an increased magnetic field. If that's the case, shouldn't the current at resistor R flow to the right? The answer is left.
You do realize the windings are in opposite directions, yes?

Oh I missed that- whoops! So that means that the magnetic field for resistor R is going towards the right, therefore resulting in the current going left when the magnetic field is increased and towards the right when decreased?

pdf said:
Oh I missed that- whoops! So that means that the magnetic field for resistor R is going towards the right, therefore resulting in the current going left when the magnetic field is increased and towards the right when decreased?
Yes.

Likes pdf

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the direction of an induced current in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How does Lenz's Law relate to Faraday's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. Lenz's Law specifies the direction of the induced current in the conductor, which is opposite to the direction of the change in the magnetic field.

What is the significance of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is important in understanding the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It helps explain how electric generators and motors work, and is also essential in the study of electromagnetic induction.

How can Lenz's Law be applied in real-world situations?

Lenz's Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices like metal detectors and induction cooktops.

Is Lenz's Law always valid?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and is always valid. However, it is a simplified model and may not fully explain all phenomena. In certain situations, more complex laws and theories may be needed to fully describe the behavior of electromagnetic systems.