1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help using Coulomb's Law; finding q1 when q2>q1

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    A system consists of two positive point charges, q_1 and q_2 > q_1. The total charge of the system is 64.0 \mu C, and elec each charge experiences antrostatic force of magnitude 76.0 N when the separation between them is 0.270 {\rm m}.

Im having a little trouble determining q1, it must be simple but i just cant see it! arrgh!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    the equation used is coulombs law; f= k *q1*q2/ r squared

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a system of two equations and two unknowns. The unknowns are q1 and q2. One equation is Coulomb's Law as you have written it in posting #2. What is the second equation?

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    I realize i should post my work that ive done already....well i decided that both q1 and q2 cannot be equal since all other info would be irrelevant..i tried using the fundamental charge, 1.6*10^-19 as the value for q1 but that doesnt seem to fit, ive been on this problem for about an hour now but i cant seem to see the relation between the two..i apologize about my original post that didnt include my thinking process

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    i'm not sure we were given a second equation in lecture...maybe thats why im not understanding haha

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The second equation is stated in the problem. Read the problem statement carefully.

8. Jan 26, 2010 #7
    I just got it man, thank you!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook