Solving Coulomb's Law Homework Problem

In summary, the question asks for the force on a 1.0 nC charge and the magnitude and direction of that force, using Coulomb's law. The given charges are -2.0 nC, 2.0 nC, and 1.0 nC. The equation for Coulomb's law is F=K(q1)(q2)/r^2, where K=9.0x10^9. The student attempted to use the action reaction force of F(1on2), but was unsure of how to deal with the angles and their answers seemed too large. Additionally, it should be noted that the distance between the charges is 1.0 cm or 0.01 m.
lucer95

Homework Statement

Having trouble with my vector addition when it comes to this homework question. Not really sure how to go about solving this problem since I'm new to coulomb's law problems and my prof didnt really give us many examples in class. Here is the picture of the charges. The question asks:
A)What is the force F⃗ on the 1.0 nC charge and Determine the magnitude of the force F.
B)Determine the direction of the force F⃗ .
Assume that +x axis is directed from the 2.0 nC charge to the -2.0 nC charge

Homework Equations

eqn for coulomb's F=K(q1)(q2)/r^2 K=9.0x10^9

I named q1=-2.0nC=-2.0X10^-9 C
q2=2.0nC=2.0X10^-9 C
q3=1.0nC=1.0X10^-9 C

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing the action reaction force of F(1on2) but not sure what to do with the angles and also not sure if my answers make sense since i was getting very large answers.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
Should also mention r=1.0cm=0.01m

Related to Solving Coulomb's Law Homework Problem

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is Coulomb's Law expressed mathematically?

Coulomb's Law can be expressed as F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force between two charged particles, k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the SI unit for charge?

The SI unit for charge is the coulomb (C). One coulomb is equivalent to the charge of 6.24 x 1018 protons or electrons.

Can Coulomb's Law be applied to both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to both positive and negative charges. The force between two particles with like charges (both positive or both negative) will be repulsive, while the force between two particles with opposite charges will be attractive.

How is Coulomb's Law related to the concept of electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to the concept of electric fields. Electric fields are created by charged particles and exert a force on other charged particles within the field. The strength of the electric field at a certain point is proportional to the force experienced by a charged particle at that point, as described by Coulomb's Law.