Finding the x-component of a force using Coulomb's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the new force exerted on a point charge q2 located at a distance from another point charge q1, after q2 is displaced in the positive y-direction. The equation used is Coulomb's Law and the final answer is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by cos(45). However, the incorrect assumption of the angle being 45 degrees leads to an incorrect answer.
cherrymilk

Homework Statement

(1) A point charge q1 = -2.9 μC is located at the origin of a co-ordinate system. Another point charge q2 = 5 μC is located along the x-axis at a distance x2 = 8.6 cm from q1.

The answer to this was -17.64N.

(2) Charge q2 is now displaced a distance y2 = 2.4 cm in the positive y-direction. What is the new value for the x-component of the force that q1 exerts on q2?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law: F = k (q1q2)/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Seeing that q2's position had changed, I calculated the new force exerted using Coulomb's Law. I used 9*10^9 for k, and using the Pythagorean theorem, I calculated the new distance between the charges, which I got to be 0.089. After using Coulomb's Law, I got an answer of -16.37N. To find the x-component, I multiplied this value by cos(45), giving me a final answer of -11.58. This, however, is apparently incorrect and I'm confused as to why.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you chose 45 degrees as the angle?

OtherWindow said:
Why did you chose 45 degrees as the angle?

Ah, I see what I did wrong. I just assumed that because they had drawn the line they way they did in the figure, the angle was 45 degrees. Silly mistake, thanks for that!

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you find the x-component of a force using Coulomb's Law?

To find the x-component of a force using Coulomb's Law, you need to first determine the magnitude and direction of the force between two charged particles using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. Then, you can use trigonometry to calculate the x-component of the force by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle between the force vector and the x-axis.

What is the unit of measurement for the x-component of a force?

The x-component of a force has the same unit of measurement as the force itself, which is Newtons (N). This unit represents the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

Can Coulomb's Law be applied to non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to non-point charges as long as the distance between them is much greater than their sizes. In this case, the distance between the charges can be approximated as the distance between their centers of mass.

What are some real-life applications of finding the x-component of a force using Coulomb's Law?

Some real-life applications of using Coulomb's Law to find the x-component of a force include understanding the behavior of electric fields and currents in electronics, predicting the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, and analyzing the interactions between charged particles in chemical reactions.