Need help with 2 probelms - 1 simple one

• Thread starter phoizgood
  • Start date
In summary: They mean average rate of change of speed: a = \Delta v/\Delta t.Use d = v_{avg}t = \frac{1}{2}v_0t to determine the time it takes to stop and then find a.AM1) a 50.0 g superball traveling at 25.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22.0 m/s. a high-speed camera records this event. if the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.50 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval
phoizgood
need help with 2 probelms - 1 "simple" one

1) a 50.0 g superball traveling at 25.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22.0 m/s. a high-speed camera records this event. if the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.50 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval? (note: 1ms = 10^-3s)

heres how I tried to do this problem. first, I converted 3.50 ms to seconds which is .0035 seconds. I am assuming this will be my change in time.

now, avg acceleration = change in velocity / change in time

so here's how i tried to get change in velocity. since the final velocity of the ball right before it hit the wall is -25 m/s (Vf1) [negative because its going towards the wall] , that would then become the Initial velocity when it bounces off the wall(Vi2)...and so Vf2 is +22.0 m/s. [positive since its going away from the wall]. is my logic here right?

avg accel = +22 - (-25)/.0035 = 13428.57m/s^2! does that not seem right at all!

2) a 745i BMW car can brake to a stop in a distance of 121 ft. from a speed of 60 mi/h. to brake to a stop from a speed of 80 mi/h requires a stopping distance of 211 ft. what is the average braking acceleration for a) 60mi/h to rest b) 80 mi/h to rest c) 80 mi/h to 60 mi/h.

when they say average braking acceleration...do they mean "average acceleration" like the problem above? I figure its something more complicated than that, can someone point me in the right direction for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
phoizgood said:
You want to find the average acceleration. a = dv/dt. The force is ma= mdv/dt. This is just finding the change in momentum, which is equal to the Force x time. [itex]F = dp/dt = m\Delta v/\Delta t[/itex].

2) a 745i BMW car can brake to a stop in a distance of 121 ft. from a speed of 60 mi/h. to brake to a stop from a speed of 80 mi/h requires a stopping distance of 211 ft. what is the average braking acceleration for a) 60mi/h to rest b) 80 mi/h to rest c) 80 mi/h to 60 mi/h.

when they say average braking acceleration...do they mean "average acceleration" like the problem above? I figure its something more complicated than that, can someone point me in the right direction for this?
They mean average rate of change of speed: [itex]a = \Delta v/\Delta t[/itex]
Use [itex]d = v_{avg}t = \frac{1}{2}v_0t[/itex] to determine the time it takes to stop and then find a.

AM

phoizgood said:
1) a 50.0 g superball traveling at 25.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22.0 m/s. a high-speed camera records this event. if the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.50 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval? (note: 1ms = 10^-3s)

heres how I tried to do this problem. first, I converted 3.50 ms to seconds which is .0035 seconds. I am assuming this will be my change in time.

now, avg acceleration = change in velocity / change in time

so here's how i tried to get change in velocity. since the final velocity of the ball right before it hit the wall is -25 m/s (Vf1) [negative because its going towards the wall] , that would then become the Initial velocity when it bounces off the wall(Vi2)...and so Vf2 is +22.0 m/s. [positive since its going away from the wall]. is my logic here right?

It's right, but you have to remember that that acceleration is happening for only 3.50ms, or 0.0035 ms! So even though the acceleration is very high it only actually acts on the ball extremely momentarily. (Also make sure to mention that you chose the way the ball bounced as positive [and hence the original direction negative])
--
Edit: You can use derivatives etc. but you really don't have to, I did physics a year early and hadn't learned derivatives and I went though fine (assuming that outside Australia the standard is similar).
--

Breaking acceleration is just a way of saying deceleration, or retardation (or acceleration in the opposite direction of movement). I think they're trying to test your ability to interperate questions (or confuse you). You're going to have to do conversions of units here, as well as use u v and x (distance) to find t.

Last edited:

1. What is the first step in solving a simple problem?

The first step in solving a simple problem is to clearly define the problem and understand what is being asked.

2. How do I approach a problem that I don't know how to solve?

When faced with a problem you don't know how to solve, break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and try to solve each part individually.

3. Can I use a different method to solve a problem than the one taught in class?

Yes, if you understand the concept behind the problem and can justify your approach, you can use a different method to solve a problem.

4. How do I check if my solution to a problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original problem or by using a different method to solve the problem and comparing the results.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when solving a problem?

Yes, it is always okay to ask for help when solving a problem. Collaborating and seeking guidance from others can often lead to a better understanding of the problem and a more efficient solution.