Need help with a probability problem

In summary, the probability of the desired outcome (A) occurring is 75% over the next 24 trials, given that the desired outcome has occurred 25% of the time in the past.
sdclaw
Guys and girls, I need help calculating the probability of the following event happening (or feel free to just tell me the answer :smile: )

I know an event has two possible outcomes, let's call the outcome A and outcome B. I know that the desired outcome (let's call it A) has occurred 25% of the time over a sample size of 200 events.

What is the probability that A will occur 75% (or greater) of the time over the next 24 occurances of the event happening?

I have a basic understanding of probability but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the binomial distribution with p(A)=1/4. Although you don't know p(A) exactly, 200 trials gives you a good estimate.

mathman said:
Use the binomial distribution with p(A)=1/4. Although you don't know p(A) exactly, 200 trials gives you a good estimate.

How do we account for the fact that after each additional trial p(A) changes. In this instance let's say trials 201-210 all yield the desired result. That being the case p(A) will increase after each of these trials.

Let's say you're wondering about the next 2 trials. For the next trial you predict "Heads" with probability 0.25, "Tails" with prob. 0.75. Let's say you have Heads. So you'd need to update 0.25 up to 51/201. But, let's say you have Tails. Then you'd need to update 0.25 down to 50/201.

Since you don't know whether you'll get Heads or Tails, you decide to calculate the "average" probability of Heads that you expect to have after the next trial, using the probabilities that you have currently (0.25 for Heads and 0.75 for Tails). The average probability that you can expect to have after your next trial is (51/201) x 0.25 + (50/201) x 0.75 = 50.25/201 = 0.25 exactly.

The interpretation is that before you run the next trial, all you can say is that you expect the probability of Heads to stay constant at 0.25. The same logic applies to the second-next trial, and so on...

Based on the given information, the probability of outcome A occurring is 25% or 0.25. This means that out of 200 events, A has occurred 50 times (200 x 0.25 = 50). Now, we want to find the probability of A occurring 75% (or greater) of the time over the next 24 occurrences.

To calculate this, we need to use the binomial distribution formula: P(X = x) = (nCx) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success.

In this case, n = 24 and p = 0.25. We want to find the probability of x being greater than or equal to 18 (75% of 24). So, we need to calculate P(X >= 18).

Using a binomial calculator, we get the probability of P(X >= 18) = 0.0000000000000000014, which is a very small probability. This means that it is highly unlikely for A to occur 75% or more of the time over the next 24 occurrences.

In conclusion, based on the given information, the probability of A occurring 75% or more of the time over the next 24 occurrences is very low. It is important to note that this is just a prediction based on the given data and there may be other factors that could affect the actual outcome. It is always important to consider all possible variables when making probability calculations.

1. What is a probability problem?

A probability problem is a type of mathematical problem that deals with the chances or likelihood of a certain event occurring. It involves using mathematical principles and formulas to calculate the probability of an outcome.

2. How do I solve a probability problem?

To solve a probability problem, you first need to define the event or situation you are interested in and identify all the possible outcomes. Then, you can use various probability rules and formulas, such as the addition rule, multiplication rule, and Bayes' theorem, to calculate the probability of the event occurring.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations and may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. How can I use probability in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as in gambling and insurance, to calculate the chances of winning or losing and to determine risk. It is also used in fields like medicine, economics, and weather forecasting to make predictions and inform decision-making.

5. Can probability be used to predict the future?

While probability can be used to make predictions, it cannot accurately predict the future. This is because probability is based on chance and uncertainty, and future events may be influenced by other factors that cannot be accounted for in a probability calculation.