1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with basic system of equations with two unknown values

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the problem:

|4(x+2) - 7(x-y) = 7
    |7(x+y) + 10(x-2) = 79

I need to solve this, I'm not quite sure what to do, the operators in the brackets are different, so even if I multiply by -1, if the operator in front of one variable changes, the other one will change too, still making them incompatible with the bottom one.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried going the straight way by just doing all the operations until I get them to a simple as possible state:

|4(x+2) - 7(x-y) = 7
    |7(x+y) + 10(x-2) = 79

into:

|4x + 7y + 1 = 0
    |10x + 7y -99 = 0

This however doesn't get me anywhere.Could someone offer some help?(I know the problem sounds way too stupid :( )
    Combining them gives me:

14x+ 14y - 98 = 0 ,which I turn into:
    x + y - 7 = 0 , which still doesn't really get me anywhere, x + y = 7.The book says the answer is 5 and 2, but not sure how to solve it properly.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you expand out the brackets and collect like terms?
    For instance:
    4(x+2) - 7(x-y) = 7 turns into 4x + 8 - 7x - 7y = 7 turns into -3x - 7y = -1

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    I think I solved it, is this correct:

I expanded the brackets as you said, but multiplied the bottom one with (-1), so I got this:

4x + 8 - 7x + 7y = 7
    -7x - 7y - 10x +20 = -79

Then I collect them, so 7y and (-7y) are removed, leaving only X.

5. May 23, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure you understand: You have two simultaneous equations with unknowns x and y. You are supposed to determine the values of x and y which satisfy the equations.

6. May 23, 2013 #5
    Yeah when only x is left I find it, then replaced it with the found value in the top formula to find y.

7. May 23, 2013 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If I understand what is going on you are trying to add both equations side by side in such a way one of the unknowns cancels out. That's an OK method, but you can also use different approach - solve one of the equations for one unknown, and plug it into the other equation:

x+y=1
    2x+y=3

From the first equation

y=1-x

plugging into the second

2x+1-x=3

collecting like terms

(2x-x)=3-2

or

x=1

and you have an equation in one unknown only (actually it got solved just by tidying it up).

And most likely you misunrderstood what SteamKing meant by "collect like terms" - he meant to combine together all expressions containing each unknown, and all free expressions. To quote his post again:

4x + 8 - 7x - 7y = 7

after grouping:

(4x - 7x) - 7y = (7 - 8)

and this directly yields

-3x - 7y = -1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted