Need help with calculating Gravitational Constant

In summary, the question asks for the acceleration from the gravitational constant on a foreign planet, given that a bomb is dropped from a height of 200m and takes 2.5 seconds to fall the last 100m. The solution involves using two equations and substituting for time to isolate and solve for acceleration. The gravitational constant remains the same everywhere, making it universal.
JohnDoeJD

Homework Statement

I would like some help with this question:

A bomb is dropped on a foreign planet. The bomb is dropped from a height of 200m. The bomb traveled the last 100m of the fall in 2.5 seconds. What is the acceleration from the gravitational constant on this planet?

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried making two separate equations, one for the total fall (200m) and one for the 100m fall and combining them but I couldn't get anything because I had too many variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnDoeJD said:
What is the acceleration from the gravitational constant on this planet?

do you mean "and" ?

Yes, that's what I meant sorry.

write s = ut + .5 at^2 for (t - 2.5) and t seconds
t it the total time of fall

substract 2 eqn's and substitute st - st - 2.5 = --- ?

JohnDoeJD said:
Yes, that's what I meant sorry.

gravitational constant remains same everywhere

thats why it is called "UNIVERSAL" gravitational constant !

EDIT:

confirm it yourself by finding its value in this question

cupid.callin said:
write s = ut + .5 at^2 for (t - 2.5) and t seconds
t it the total time of fall

substract 2 eqn's and substitute st - st - 2.5 = --- ?

I did that originally but I couldn't figure out how to isolate A. This is what I had:

100 = 0(t) + 0.5at^2 - 0(t-2.5) + 0.5a(t-2.5)^2

rearrange this eqn to a simpler form

use another eqn: 200 = .5at^2

use this eqn to subs. t in first eqn
yu'll get something in √a and a

consider √a as y and and a as y^2 and solve this just like a quadratic eqn!

Thank you.

What is the Gravitational Constant?

The Gravitational Constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental physical constant that measures the strength of the gravitational force between two objects with mass. It is a key component in Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Why is it important to calculate the Gravitational Constant?

The Gravitational Constant is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in the universe. It allows us to calculate the force of gravity between any two objects, which is crucial in fields such as astronomy, astrophysics, and space exploration.

How is the Gravitational Constant calculated?

The Gravitational Constant is typically calculated using the Cavendish experiment, which involves measuring the torque on a torsion balance caused by the gravitational attraction between two masses. This experiment was first performed by Henry Cavendish in 1798 and has been refined over the years to produce a highly accurate value for G.

What is the value of the Gravitational Constant?

The currently accepted value for the Gravitational Constant is 6.67430 x 10^-11 m^3kg^-1s^-2. It is a very small number, indicating that the force of gravity between two objects with mass is incredibly weak unless the objects are very large and/or very close together.

Why does the value of the Gravitational Constant sometimes vary?

The value of the Gravitational Constant may vary slightly in different experiments due to measurement error and the difficulty of accurately measuring small forces. Additionally, some theories, such as Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, suggest that the Gravitational Constant may not be truly constant and may vary depending on the conditions of the universe.