1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with calculus for a car! (admission test question)

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    In this question you will use a simple model to estimate how the energy used
    by a car depends on its design and how it is driven. Begin by neglecting air
    and ground resistance, and assume that the car travels at constant velocity
    between regular equally spaced stops.

(a) A stationary car of mass m is rapidly accelerated to a velocity v, driven
    for a distance s, and is rapidly brought to a halt by its brakes. Calculate
    the energy dispersed by the brakes.

(b) Assuming the car restarts immediately, calculate the time between
    subsequent stops and hence the average power dissipated.

(c) Hence or otherwise calculate the energy used in travelling a total distance
    d.

(d) Taking m = 1000 kg, v = 10ms−1 and s = 100m calculate the energy
    used in travelling 1 km. What would be the effect of doubling the speed
    to 20ms−1?

I need help with this Question. It seems to be easy but I think I've got an error in my mind.^^

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    What are you thinking of so far, what would the work energy theorem say? How do you think power relates to work?

Try it out some and let us know exactly where you're stuck.

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    I thought that a system that is not accelerated has no resultant force (since you may neglect air and groung resistance). So, all the energy will be kinetic energy. E = (mv^2)/2.
    Then I got stuck in the second Question.
    So, I need the equation or a hint to solve question (b) and (c).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook