1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with differential equation of type y''+ay'+by=g(x)

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is it possible to give a a value so that e^(-ax^2) becomes a solution to the differential equation y''(x)+x*y'(x)+y = 0

2. Relevant equations

Already given.

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and doesn't really know how the fancy Latex stuff works, but I hope you'll understand me. Anyhow, I have been sitting with this problem for a while.
    Should I take the derivative of e^(-ax^2) and put it into the equation and in that way (somehow) find out x and a?

After the I have taken the derivative and put it into the equation I get this, which I'm fairly sure is correct :/

4a^2*(e^(ax^2))+2a(e^(ax^2))+2a(e^(ax^2))*x+(e^(ax ^2))= 0

What am I supposed to do next?

I hope you understand me.

Thanks. (nice forum btw)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

e-ax2 ≥ 0 for all x, so you can divide throughout by it.

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

If such a condition were true, then you could not divide throughout by it. However, eax2 > 0 for all x, not ≥ 0 for all x.

So you can divide by eax2, but I wanted to correct that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook