Need help with differential equation of type y''+ay'+by=g(x)

In summary, the conversation is about finding a value that makes e^(-ax^2) a solution to the given differential equation. The student is unsure about how to proceed after taking the derivative and putting it into the equation. Other forum members point out that the equation can be divided by e^(-ax^2) and discuss the conditions for dividing by a negative exponent.
swebonny

Homework Statement

Is it possible to give a a value so that e^(-ax^2) becomes a solution to the differential equation y''(x)+x*y'(x)+y = 0

Homework Equations

Already given.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and doesn't really know how the fancy Latex stuff works, but I hope you'll understand me. Anyhow, I have been sitting with this problem for a while.
Should I take the derivative of e^(-ax^2) and put it into the equation and in that way (somehow) find out x and a?

After the I have taken the derivative and put it into the equation I get this, which I'm fairly sure is correct :/

4a^2*(e^(ax^2))+2a(e^(ax^2))+2a(e^(ax^2))*x+(e^(ax ^2))= 0

What am I supposed to do next?

I hope you understand me.

Thanks. (nice forum btw)

Physics news on Phys.org
e-ax2 ≥ 0 for all x, so you can divide throughout by it.

rock.freak667 said:
e-ax2 ≥ 0 for all x, so you can divide throughout by it.

If such a condition were true, then you could not divide throughout by it. However, eax2 > 0 for all x, not ≥ 0 for all x.

So you can divide by eax2, but I wanted to correct that.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It expresses the relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is often used to model real-world phenomena.

2. What is the type of the differential equation y''+ay'+by=g(x)?

This is a second-order linear differential equation, as it involves the second derivative of the function (y'') and the first derivative of the function (y').

3. How do I solve a differential equation of this type?

To solve a second-order linear differential equation like y''+ay'+by=g(x), you can use various methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or the Laplace transform method. Each method has its own steps and requirements, so it is important to choose the appropriate method for the given equation.

4. What is the role of the constants a and b in this differential equation?

The constants a and b affect the behavior and solutions of the differential equation. They can determine whether the equation is stable or unstable, and can also impact the type of solutions (real or complex) that the equation produces.

5. Can differential equations be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, differential equations are widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze systems and processes in these fields, making them a valuable tool in understanding and predicting real-world phenomena.