1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with homework question. Anyone please thank you !

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a 50.0g silver spoon at 20.0*C is placed in a cup of coffee at 90.0*c. how much heat does the spoon absorb from the coffee to reach a temperature of 89.0*C

HOW DO I SOLVE THIS!!!

and also this question

Spent Steam from an electric generating plant leaves the turbines at 120.0*C and is cooled to 90.0*C liquid water by water from a cooling tower in a heat exchanger. how much heat is removed by the cooling tower water for each kilogram of spent steam?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You need the value of a physical constant known as the specific heat of that metal (silver). If it's not in your textbook, use google.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    so how do i solve it i really dont know this at all.

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4
    heat absorbed from the coffee = [Solution deleted by moderator.]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  6. Oct 10, 2011 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

While the OP has seen the solution that was posted, I'll just remark that there should be a discussion of this topic in the OP's physics textbook, along with the formula relating heat and temperature change, plus a list of specific heat values for different materials.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook