Need help with homework question. Anyone please thank you !

Homework Statement

a 50.0g silver spoon at 20.0*C is placed in a cup of coffee at 90.0*c. how much heat does the spoon absorb from the coffee to reach a temperature of 89.0*C

HOW DO I SOLVE THIS!!!

and also this question

Spent Steam from an electric generating plant leaves the turbines at 120.0*C and is cooled to 90.0*C liquid water by water from a cooling tower in a heat exchanger. how much heat is removed by the cooling tower water for each kilogram of spent steam?

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
a 50.0g silver spoon at 20.0*C is placed in a cup of coffee at 90.0*c. how much heat does the spoon absorb from the coffee to reach a temperature of 89.0*C

HOW DO I SOLVE THIS!!!
You need the value of a physical constant known as the specific heat of that metal (silver). If it's not in your textbook, use google.

You need the value of a physical constant known as the specific heat of that metal (silver). If it's not in your textbook, use google.

so how do i solve it i really dont know this at all.

heat absorbed from the coffee = [Solution deleted by moderator.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
While the OP has seen the solution that was posted, I'll just remark that there should be a discussion of this topic in the OP's physics textbook, along with the formula relating heat and temperature change, plus a list of specific heat values for different materials.