Calculation of heat created during compression

In summary, Homework Statement:The student is trying to approach the problem of isotropic compression from 200mbar to 250C by simply dividing enthalpies from steam tables and omitting the whole aspect of temperature increase. However, their supervisor told them that this is actually happening in plants and it must be calculated in the project. I could not find an example of this type of problem, so I am unsure if the data is sufficient.
Gosia

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a task to make a heat balance of the evaporator. To do this, I was told to carry a few smaller energy balances in different parts of the evaporator. One of the things I had to calculate was the heat generated during steam compression.

-steam is entering 12818,18 kg/h the fan at temp 60 C at pressure 200 mbar (saturated conditions)
-steam durninng compression is being heated to 100 C, we want to achive 250mbar
-after that steam is being cooled by sprayed water at 65 C

I have to calculate the work of the pump and the heat that is being generated.

Homework Equations

dU=Q-W

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was trying to approach it as it is isotropic compression going from 200mbar 60C to 250C 65
by simply divieding enthalpies from steam tables and omiting whole aspect of tempreture increse. But my supervisor said that this is actually hapaning in plants, that durning compression this much amount of heat is produced due to friction and comression and it must be calculated in the project. I coudnt find any similar exercises or exampels.Is this data sufficient? I feel like I am missing something. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Gosia, :welcome:

Gosia said:
I was trying to approach it as it is isotropic compression going from 200mbar 60C to 250C 65
by simply divieding enthalpies from steam tables and omiting whole aspect of tempreture increse.
Hard to follow. PLease describe the steps you mentioned separately:
Gosia said:
-steam is entering 12818,18 kg/h the fan at temp 60 C at pressure 200 mbar (saturated conditions)
SO you have ##h_i## and ##s_i## there? namely : ?
-steam durninng compression
Assume isentropic (not isotropic -- that's something else): again: ##h_{is}## there? namely : ? So ##T_{is}## ?

In reality ##h## ends up higher than ##h_{is}## because there is an efficiency ##\eta_{is} = {h_i - h_{actual} \over h_i - h_{is} }##
again: ##h_{actual}## there? namely : ? So ##T_{actual}## ?
is being heated to 100 C, we want to achive 250mbar
heated as in 'heat is added' or is it heated because of the compresssion ?
(In the latter case your ##T_{actual}## deterimines ##\eta_{is}## )

-after that steam is being cooled by sprayed water at 65 C
Strange. Why would someone do such a destructive deed ?

[edit] sheet 20 here

BvU said:
Hello Gosia,

Hard to follow. PLease describe the steps you mentioned separately:

That is not necessary because this approach was totally wrong.
BvU said:
SO you have ##h_i## and ##s_i## there? namely : ?
Yes, evrything from steam tables
BvU said:
Assume isentropic (not isotropic -- that's something else): again: ##h_{is}## there? namely : ? So ##T_{is}## ?
Isentropic is not a good assumption.

BvU said:
In reality ##h## ends up higher than ##h_{is}## because there is an efficiency ##\eta_{is} = {h_i - h_{actual} \over h_i - h_{is} }##
again: ##h_{actual}## there? namely : ? So ##T_{actual}## ?
heated as in 'heat is added' or is it heated because of the compresssion ?
(In the latter case your ##T_{actual}## deterimines ##\eta_{is}## )

Heat is beeing generated ONLY becaouse of compression. NO additional heat is beeing given by surroundings.
BvU said:
Strange. Why would someone do such a destructive deed ?
This is a milk evaporator, in order to have no denaturation of proteins we have to maintain tempereture below 100 C

1. How is heat created during compression?

Heat is created during compression due to the work done on the gas molecules which increases their kinetic energy and results in an increase in temperature.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat created during compression?

The amount of heat created during compression is affected by the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, the compression ratio, and the type of gas being compressed.

3. How can the heat generated during compression be calculated?

The heat created during compression can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the heat (Q) added to the system minus the work (W) done by the system (ΔU = Q - W).

4. What units are used to measure the heat created during compression?

The heat created during compression is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal), although other units such as kilojoules (kJ) or BTUs (British Thermal Units) may also be used.

5. How can the heat created during compression be minimized?

To minimize the heat created during compression, efficient compression methods and equipment can be used, and the compression process can be optimized to reduce the compression ratio and lower the initial temperature and pressure of the gas.