1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with impulsive tension in an inextensible string.

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all
    variables and given/known
    data

Three particles A, B and C all of mass m rest on a smooth horizontal plane so that angle ABC is 120 degree. B is connected to both A and C by light inextensible string which are initially just taut. An impulse J is then applied to particle B in a direction making an angle of 150
    with BC and 90 with BA.
    Find impulsive tension in each string and the initial velocity of each particle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I could do one similar question i.e. when the impulse is applied to B making a horizontal direction to the right. The horizontal velocity of A and B would be the same but A also experiences vertical move. However for this question, I can't solve it. I've tried many times but still don't get the point.

key answers given:
    J √3 / 15; 4J√3 / 15
    v A: J√3 / 15m along AB
    v B: 2J√21 / 15m at arctan 3√3 to AB
    v C: 4J√3 / 15m along CB

Please help me. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2
    I've replied to your other post on TSR.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook