Need help with my Swinging Ball problem please

• Thread starter SnowboardNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, a mass of 16.0 kg attached to a string of length 63.0 cm moves in a circle at constant speed, making an angle of 17 degrees with the vertical. Using the equations T = 2 pi r / v, F = m a, and Ac = v^2 / r, the time it takes for the mass to make one complete revolution can be calculated. However, there may be errors in the calculations due to unbalanced parentheses and incorrect usage of trigonometric functions.
SnowboardNerd

Homework Statement

A mass m = 16.0 kg is attached to the lower end of a massless string of length L = 63.0 cm. The upper end of the string is held fixed. Suppose that the mass moves in a circle at constant speed, and that the string makes an angle theta = 17o with the vertical, as shown in the figure. How long does it take the mass to make one complete revolution?

Homework Equations

T = 2 pi r / v

F = m a

Ac = v^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 16
L = 0.62 m
θ = 17

Drew a FBD...
It shows mg acting down upon the object, and T diagonally up.

Fx = m * ac
T sin theta = m ac
T sin theta = m * v^2/r
T sin theta = m * v^2/ L sin theta

Fy = m * ac
T cos theta - mg = 0
T cos theta = mg
T = mg /cos theta

Use the above and sub it in..

(mg/cos theta) sin theta = m (v^2) / L sin theta

√ ((( L (sin(theta))^2) g sin(theta))) / cos theta ) = V

V = (sqrt( (.63 (sin^2(17)) (9.8) sin(17) )/ cos(17)))

Use formula... T = 2pi r / v

(2pi(0.63*sin(17)))/(sqrt( (.63 (sin^2(17)) (9.8) sin(17) )/ cos(17)))

I get.. 2.88 seconds.

Where did I go wrong?? Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• prob25a.gif
    prob25a.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anything else I need to include to get help?

Patience.

Draw a Free Body Diagram for the ball. (never mind.)

**** you all, this website is ********. you guys never actually respond and when you do its useless. suck a cows dick. I'm out.

I did it perfectly... all I did wrong was that I unnecessarily squared an sin theta and you faggots couldn't tell me that. this site is useless...

I get that [itex]\displaystyle v^2=\frac{gL\,\sin^2(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}\,.[/itex]

It's hard to say what you have for v. There is a severe case of unbalanced parentheses.

SnowboardNerd said:
**** you all, this website is ********. you guys never actually respond and when you do its useless. suck a cows dick. I'm out.

SnowboardNerd said:
I did it perfectly... all I did wrong was that I unnecessarily squared an sin theta and you faggots couldn't tell me that. this site is useless...
That's probably NOT the way to get help.

1. What is the Swinging Ball problem?

The Swinging Ball problem is a physics problem that involves a ball attached to a string or rod, swinging in a circular motion. The goal of the problem is to determine the speed, acceleration, and other characteristics of the ball's motion.

2. How do I approach solving the Swinging Ball problem?

The first step in solving the Swinging Ball problem is to draw a diagram of the ball's motion, including all forces acting on the ball. Then, use Newton's laws of motion and other relevant equations to analyze the motion and solve for the desired quantities.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the Swinging Ball problem?

The key concepts involved in the Swinging Ball problem are centripetal force, centripetal acceleration, and angular velocity. It is also important to understand the relationship between these concepts and Newton's laws of motion.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the Swinging Ball problem?

One common mistake when solving the Swinging Ball problem is not considering all forces acting on the ball, including tension in the string or rod. Another mistake is not correctly setting up and solving the relevant equations.

5. Can you provide any tips for solving the Swinging Ball problem?

One helpful tip for solving the Swinging Ball problem is to break the motion into components, such as horizontal and vertical, and analyze each component separately. Additionally, it can be useful to practice solving similar problems and double-checking your work for any mistakes.