Need Help with Physics Exam Questions?

• Thread starter Kwamw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the student is seeking help on three different questions from their physics book, specifically regarding the similarities between a galvanometer and an electric motor, how a magnet can attract non-magnetized iron, and how the electric company uses transformers to moderate house current. The student is unsure of the exact answer to each question and is looking for more clarity and understanding.
Kwamw
I need a little help on a few questions that came up in my physics book..I have an exam soon, so I'm trying to get all the help I can possibly get. :smile:

What is the similarity between a galvanometer and a simple electric motor?

? I'm really stuck on this one.

How can a magnet attract a piece of iron that is not magnetized?

For this one, I think the fact that iron contains magnetic domains (which are atoms with north and south poles) has a lot to do why there is an attraction. Need more clarity though.

How does the electric company use a transformer to moderate your house current?

The answer of this question revolves around the transformers principle, which is when change occurs in the magnetic fields of current-carrying coil of a wire that is intercepted by the second coil of wire, which in the end induces voltage in the second coil.

What I need more clarity on is how the exchange happens.

Thanks. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kwamw said:
I need a little help on a few questions that came up in my physics book..I have an exam soon, so I'm trying to get all the help I can possibly get. :smile:

What is the similarity between a galvanometer and a simple electric motor?

? I'm really stuck on this one.

How can a magnet attract a piece of iron that is not magnetized?

For this one, I think the fact that iron contains magnetic domains (which are atoms with north and south poles) has a lot to do why there is an attraction. Need more clarity though.

How does the electric company use a transformer to moderate your house current?

The answer of this question revolves around the transformers principle, which is when change occurs in the magnetic fields of current-carrying coil of a wire that is intercepted by the second coil of wire, which in the end induces voltage in the second coil.

What I need more clarity on is how the exchange happens.

Thanks. :biggrin:

Welcome to the PF. I moved your thread from Advanced to Intro Physics (Advanced is more for upper division and graduate level questions).

On the first one, can you describe for us what each of those devices is, and how they work?

On the second one, have you studied what electric dopoles do in a non-uniform Electric field? The situation is analogous to the magnetic question they are asking, and you are sort of on the right track with your attempt at a solution

On the third question, it's not worded very well. Is that the exact question? The electric company uses transformers to change voltage levels for long-distance transmission for a specific reason. Maybe try a search at wikipedia.org on "electric transmission line" or similar to see if you can spot the reason...

Hello, I am a physics expert and I would be happy to help you with your questions.

To answer your first question, the similarity between a galvanometer and a simple electric motor is that they both use electromagnetic principles. A galvanometer measures small electric currents by using a coil of wire in a magnetic field, while a simple electric motor uses a coil of wire in a magnetic field to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

In regards to your second question, a magnet can attract a piece of iron that is not magnetized because the magnetic domains in the iron align with the external magnetic field of the magnet. This causes a slight temporary magnetization in the iron, which creates an attraction between the two.

To answer your third question, the electric company uses a transformer to moderate your house current by stepping down the high voltage from the power plant to a lower voltage that is safe for household use. This is done through the process of electromagnetic induction, where the changing magnetic field from the primary coil induces a voltage in the secondary coil, allowing for the transfer of energy.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Best of luck on your exam! :smile:

Related to Need Help with Physics Exam Questions?

1. What does a physics expert do?

A physics expert is a scientist who specializes in the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. They use mathematical equations, experiments, and theories to understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how these laws govern the behavior of objects and systems.

2. What qualifications do I need to become a physics expert?

To become a physics expert, you typically need to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as engineering, mathematics, or astronomy. Many physics experts also have a master's or doctoral degree in physics, which allows them to conduct research and teach at the university level.

3. What skills are required to be a successful physics expert?

Some of the key skills required to be a successful physics expert include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in mathematics, critical thinking abilities, and the ability to work well in a team. Good communication skills are also important, as physics experts often need to explain complex concepts to non-scientists.

4. What career opportunities are available for physics experts?

Physics experts can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government laboratories, and private companies. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and healthcare. Many physics experts also go on to become professors, science writers, or consultants.

5. How does physics impact our daily lives?

Physics has a significant impact on our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we observe. The principles of physics are used in everything from the design of buildings and bridges to the development of medical equipment and renewable energy sources. Understanding physics also helps us make sense of the world around us, from the motion of objects to the behavior of the universe on a grand scale.