Need help with potential energy, kinetic energy ect.

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment related to kinetic energy and potential energy. The individual is struggling to find the formula to solve the questions and is seeking assistance. The questions involve calculating potential energy stored in an elastic band, the energy transferred to an object by the elastic band, the speed of the object as it leaves the elastic, and the height the object will reach assuming no friction. The expert suggests using the formula for work done to solve the first two questions, the formula for kinetic energy for the third question, and the equations of motion for the last question. They also advise reviewing the theory and learning the formulas before attempting to solve the problems.
Justinfrank
I have home work that I cannot understand, it relates to kinetic energy, and energy potential I cannot find the formula to use to solve it

Heres some of the questions

1.An elastic band is stretched a distance of 15.0cm by a force of 10.0N

A.How much potential energy is stored in the elastic.- I don't understand how to find that out.

2. A 1.00 g object is placed on the elastic, and the elastic is released in a vertical direction. How much energy was transferred to the object by the elastic? Can't figure out how to solve.

A.What was the speed of the object as it leaves the elastic? Don't know the formula

B.How high will the object rise (assume no friction)- Don't know the formula

Please help me solve these questions as this assignment is due tommorow.

And sorry I couldn't show any work I've done, because I cannot figure out where to start with these
questions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello Justin, welcome to PF!

for no. 1, work done = potential energy stored. so work done is Force x distance (use SI units)

in no. 2, energy stored in elastic is transferred to object, so it is same value.

3. formula for kinetic energy is 1/2 (mv^2). i suggest you first go through the theory and learn the formulas before solving problems.

use equations of motion for last one. using it you will have

h = v^2/(2g)

Hello,

I understand that you are struggling with understanding potential energy and kinetic energy and how to solve the problems related to them. I am happy to help you with this.

First, let's define potential energy and kinetic energy. Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or state. It is the energy that could potentially be released and converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object has due to its motion. It depends on the mass of the object and its velocity.

Now, let's look at the questions one by one and see how we can solve them.

1. An elastic band is stretched a distance of 15.0cm by a force of 10.0N.
A. To find the potential energy stored in the elastic band, we can use the formula: Potential Energy = (1/2) x (spring constant) x (distance stretched)^2. The spring constant is a property of the elastic band and can be given in the question or you can look it up online. In this case, let's assume the spring constant is 5 N/m. So, the potential energy stored in the elastic band would be: (1/2) x 5 N/m x (0.15 m)^2 = 0.56 J.

2. A 1.00 g object is placed on the elastic, and the elastic is released in a vertical direction. How much energy was transferred to the object by the elastic?
To find the energy transferred to the object, we need to use the concept of work done. Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In this case, the elastic band is doing work on the object, transferring its potential energy to kinetic energy. The formula for work done is: Work Done = Force x Distance. In this case, the force is the force applied by the elastic band and the distance is the distance the object moves. So, the work done would be: Work Done = 10.0 N x 0.15 m = 1.5 J.

A. To find the speed of the object, we can use the formula for kinetic energy: Kinetic Energy = (1/2) x (mass) x (velocity)^2. We know the mass of the object is 1.00 g, so we need to convert it to kilograms by dividing by 1000.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object has the potential to use or release in the future.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

3. What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential and kinetic energy are interrelated and can be converted into one another. When an object's potential energy decreases, its kinetic energy increases, and vice versa.

4. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated as mass times acceleration due to gravity times height, or PE = mgh, where m is the mass in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height in meters.

5. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated as one-half times mass times velocity squared, or KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass in kilograms and v is the velocity in meters per second.