1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with questions about Waves on a spring

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. Does the speed of the wave change as it travels along the slinky? (Would this be yes? Because it should slow down as it reaches the end of a slinky right?)
    2. Does the speed depend on the size of the wave pulse?
    3. When you change the tension in the spring, does the wave speed change? (My teacher never really explained tension so I'm a bit lost)

I'm just really lost and these questions have to be turned in tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2013 #2
    No wave velocity is constant for a given media. However your answer holds if you're discussing about particle velocity.

Huh? Size of wave pulse means instantaneous vertical displacement or amplitude ?

What is the formula relating to frequency and tension in a spring ? Does that involve wave velocity. Also what is the formula for wave velocity in a spring (transverse wave) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook