Need help with understanding an idea

• Thread starter fsoica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation is about the book "From Certainty to Uncertainty" by David Peat, which discusses the problems with classical mechanics at the end of the 19th century. One of these problems is the "ultraviolet catastrophe," a failure of classical equations that led to the development of quantum mechanics. The author also mentions the concept of an infinite number of gradations in the wavelengths of light, which requires the use of integration rather than summation.
fsoica
Hello !

I'm just a passionate reader of popular physics books.
Often I'm in trouble understanding concepts and ideas.
hopefully this time someone here will help me...

I'm reading atm "From certainty to uncertainty", the book of David Peat.

He mentions in the first chapter about 2 clouds that darken the sky of classical physics at the end of the 19th century:
the luminiferous ether problem (I'm familiar with it)
and
"the problem of distributing energy equally among vibrating molecules"
(later on , "the way in which the energy is shared by vibrating molecules").

Since it has something to do with black body radiation, as the author mentions, i chose to ask the question in this category.

So, can anyone shed some light here? What problem David Peat is talking about ?

If someone could explain it in layman's terms, I'd be grateful...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tks for your answer...I think you are right ...the author is probably referring to the ultraviolet catastrophe.

could you pls enlighten me a bit more about this so called "catastrophe"? I have an idea about the phenomenon, but I can't say it's all clear...

He (David Peat) writes later in the chapter about:

Waves can be of any length, with an infinite range of gradations.
By analogy with sound and water waves, the waves of light radiated
from a hot body were assumed to have every possible length and
every possible frequency; in other words, light had an infinite number
of gradations from one wavelength to the next

I don't understand what this infinite number of gradations is about...

Last edited:
fsoica said:
in other words, light had an infinite number
of gradations from one wavelength to the next

I don't understand what this infinite number of gradations is about...

I would take it to mean the the allowed wavelengths are not discrete, in other words if I have a range of frequencies F1 to F2, then every frequency in the range F1 to F2 is allowed. That means that, in evaluating the contribution of a range of frequencies, we have to use integration rather than summation.

1. What is the best way to approach understanding a complex idea?

The best way to approach understanding a complex idea is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the main concepts and then work on understanding each one individually. You can also try to relate the idea to something you already understand or use visual aids to help with comprehension.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills to better understand an idea?

To improve your critical thinking skills, try to ask questions and challenge the information presented to you. Look for evidence and reasoning behind the idea and consider alternative perspectives. Practice using logic and reasoning to analyze complex ideas and make connections between different concepts.

3. What resources can I use to help me understand a difficult concept?

There are many resources available to help you understand difficult concepts. You can start by doing research online, reading books or articles related to the topic, or watching educational videos. Additionally, you can seek help from a mentor, teacher, or tutor who has expertise in the subject area.

4. How can I apply what I have learned to better understand an idea?

One way to apply what you have learned is by practicing active learning techniques such as summarizing, explaining the idea to someone else, or creating visual aids. You can also try to relate the idea to real-life examples or situations to help solidify your understanding.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand an idea after trying different methods?

If you are still struggling to understand an idea after trying different methods, it may be helpful to seek additional help from someone with more expertise or experience in the subject. You can also try taking a break and coming back to the idea with a fresh perspective. Remember to be patient with yourself and keep trying different approaches until you feel confident in your understanding.