Need information regarding accelerometers

• Thread starter mattmiller518
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student and full-time Emergency Medical Technician looking for a device that can measure acceleration in two directions. They have searched online but have not found a suitable unit. The suggestion is to use a smartphone with built-in accelerometers and free apps to capture and save the data. The speaker plans to eventually purchase or build a unit that can collect and translate the data in real time.
mattmiller518
I am an undergraduate student and full-time Emergency Medical Technician and I am trying to obtain a few basic measurements requiring the use of an accelerometer. What I require is a device that can measure acceleration of two directions, such as forward to rear acceleration and side to side forces as in a vehicle, or "sway". I would like a unit that is fairly simple to use, preferably one that would mount to the vehicle, where I could measure my data for a set period of time, then upload it to my laptop. I have spent quite a bit of time searching the internet, yet haven't been able to find a production unit that fits this description. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with something simple, like a smartphone. They have built in 3-way accelorometers (x,y,z) and are fairly sensitive. Free apps (Droid Market) such as Accelerometer Values or Accelerometer Toy will allow you to capture and save the data to the SD card then you can transfer to your PC and analyze.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.arak.sensor.accele&hl=en

https://market.android.com/details?id=pearson.accelerometer_toy

I'm sure there is something similar for the iPhones...

Thank you very much, this should be plenty to collect my base data. Eventually I will need to either buy or build a unit that can collect this data and translate it in real time to a gauge located elsewhere, but that will be on down the road.

1. What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. It can detect changes in motion, tilt, vibration, and shock.

2. How does an accelerometer work?

An accelerometer typically consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is connected to a fixed surface. When the accelerometer is subjected to acceleration, the mass moves, and the spring compresses or expands. This movement is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured.

3. What are the applications of accelerometers?

Accelerometers have a wide range of applications, including in smartphones, video game controllers, fitness trackers, and navigation systems. They are also used in industrial machinery for monitoring vibrations and in aerospace technology for measuring g-forces.

4. How accurate are accelerometers?

The accuracy of accelerometers can vary depending on factors such as the type of sensor, calibration, and environmental conditions. Generally, high-quality accelerometers can have a resolution of up to 0.001 g, which is equivalent to 1/1000th of the Earth's gravity.

5. Can accelerometers measure both linear and rotational acceleration?

Yes, some accelerometers are designed to measure both linear and rotational acceleration. These are known as inertial measurement units (IMUs) and are used in applications such as motion tracking and navigation systems.