1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need integral help ( integral property maybe )

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    What is the [tex]\int(u)[/tex]-1 where u is a fonction of x , forming a quadratic equation.
    As in:

[tex]\int(u)[/tex]-1 where u = x2+2ax+a2 for example.

Is there a basic property for this... or do I have to play around with the fonction u , in order to integrate?

----

I know that [tex]\int(x)[/tex] = ln(x) , but this can't be applied here, right? cuz ln(u)' = u-1(u'). Maybe would I need to find a way to eliminate the u' as a result of the integral.

OR

Do I need to change u to = ( x+a)(x+a) and do the integer of that ^-1 , so: [tex]\int((x+a)^-1)((x+a)^-1)[/tex]

----

Does anyone know an integral property for this kind of problem, or know of a way to set me on the right track here?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

Since you know the integral of x-2 is -x-1, you should be able to do the integral of (x+a)-2. Hint: let y=x+a and get the relationship between dy and dx.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Ok, if I get what you're saying: u[tex]\equiv(x+a)[/tex]

[tex]\int(u)[/tex]-2= -u-1= -(x+a)-1

I was onto that before, but then... if I do (-u-1)' = u-2u'

So how come the (u') is not in the equation while doing the integral.
    If I integrate something and then derive it, it should come back to the original term.

But apparently not cuz: (u-2)u'[tex]\neq(u)[/tex]-2

**Is that what you meant mathman, or am I still off?

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

Since u=x+a then u'=1. Therefore u-2u' = u-2

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook