Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need integral help ( integral property maybe )

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    What is the [tex]\int(u)[/tex]-1 where u is a fonction of x , forming a quadratic equation.
    As in:

[tex]\int(u)[/tex]-1 where u = x2+2ax+a2 for example.

Is there a basic property for this... or do I have to play around with the fonction u , in order to integrate?

----

I know that [tex]\int(x)[/tex] = ln(x) , but this can't be applied here, right? cuz ln(u)' = u-1(u'). Maybe would I need to find a way to eliminate the u' as a result of the integral.

OR

Do I need to change u to = ( x+a)(x+a) and do the integer of that ^-1 , so: [tex]\int((x+a)^-1)((x+a)^-1)[/tex]

----

Does anyone know an integral property for this kind of problem, or know of a way to set me on the right track here?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you know the integral of x-2 is -x-1, you should be able to do the integral of (x+a)-2. Hint: let y=x+a and get the relationship between dy and dx.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Ok, if I get what you're saying: u[tex]\equiv(x+a)[/tex]

[tex]\int(u)[/tex]-2= -u-1= -(x+a)-1

I was onto that before, but then... if I do (-u-1)' = u-2u'

So how come the (u') is not in the equation while doing the integral.
    If I integrate something and then derive it, it should come back to the original term.

But apparently not cuz: (u-2)u'[tex]\neq(u)[/tex]-2

**Is that what you meant mathman, or am I still off?

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since u=x+a then u'=1. Therefore u-2u' = u-2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook