Need Materials for Stability and Control Helicopter

In summary: Thank you, Garvin. So, basically if you want to understand stability in detail, you would need to measure and analyze these parameters.Can you tell me more about the parameters you listed, like rotor dihedral and rotor mass? rotor dihedral (during operation, not when sitting on the ground motionless), and rotor mass should be the factors to consider in stability. rotor dihedral (during operation, not when sitting on the ground motionless), and rotor mass should be the factors to consider in stability.
havythoai
Need Materials for "Stability and Control Helicopter"

Hi everyboy !

I'm now very disappointed, it's beause I have googled the materials of "stability and control helicopter" and what I got is nothing but disapointment. So, I need your help for the materials. Is there anyone got them ? please share to me. Next week Friday is the deadline .

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ask FredGarvin, he seems to know a thing or two about heli's

What kind of materials are you looking for? Control systems? Simply how they work? Please explain what you need.

Of course you won't find much on this topic for free. It is a technical subject that has a lot of people in business working on. You'll need to fork over some money for textbooks and technical articles by the sounds of it.

FredGarvin said:
What kind of materials are you looking for? Control systems? Simply how they work? Please explain what you need.

Of course you won't find much on this topic for free. It is a technical subject that has a lot of people in business working on. You'll need to fork over some money for textbooks and technical articles by the sounds of it.
what I need is to analyse the stability of my Helicopter, this is my project in the class. I have calculated all parameters of my Helicopter, now just analyse the stability.

Thank you, FredGarvin :wink:

Last edited:
I think stability is only influenced by the rotor attach point and it's distance above the center of gravity. Also the 'dihedral' of the rotor blades, rotor airfoils used, mass, and stiffness. Factor in gyroscopic forces too for single rotor designs.

But I got no way to calculate stability, but isn't 'stability' qualitative in nature?

gaming_addict said:
I think stability is only influenced by the rotor attach point and it's distance above the center of gravity. Also the 'dihedral' of the rotor blades, rotor airfoils used, mass, and stiffness. Factor in gyroscopic forces too for single rotor designs.
So...basically you are saying that everything effects stability.

Havythoai,
I will look around to see what I can dig up that will not cost you money. However, it really depends on what you want to do. When you say that you want to "analyze the stability" of your helicopter, you have to be the one to define what that means. What do you want your aircraft's handling and control properties to be? From there you develop your test and analysis to measure and quantify your parameters.

Here are some quick links I dug up:
http://www.comets-uavs.org/papers/CANTOS-WAC-2004.pdf
http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=406&gTable=japaperimport&gID=5039
http://emeraldinsight.com/Insight/viewContentItem.do?contentType=Article&hdAction=lnkhtml&contentId=1598146&history=false

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/699635/description#description
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/mcb/127/2001/00000073/00000002/art00001
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0894649299/?tag=pfamazon01-20
http://www.aerodyn.org/Resources/helicopters.html

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
So...basically you are saying that everything effects stability.

Hmm, didn't see it that way, but yes, I'm serious with all the things I've mentioned. It was from the experience gained with model helicopter/rotary wing/autogyro glider experiments I did way back.

I never worked with numbers though, but it's interesting how behavior could easily be affected by just varying the rotor airfoil. But to make things simple, CG location(relative to rotor CP), rotor dihedral(during operation, not when sitting on the ground motionless), and rotor mass should be the factors to consider in stability.

1. What materials are typically used in the construction of a helicopter?

The main structural materials used in the construction of a helicopter are aluminum, titanium, and composite materials such as fiberglass and carbon fiber. These materials offer a good combination of strength, rigidity, and lightweight properties, which are essential for achieving stability and control in flight.

2. How do these materials contribute to the stability and control of a helicopter?

The materials used in a helicopter's construction play a crucial role in its stability and control. Aluminum and titanium are strong and lightweight, allowing the helicopter to lift and maneuver easily. Composite materials offer flexibility and resistance to vibrations, which helps to improve stability and reduce the effects of turbulence on the flight.

3. Are there any special considerations when selecting materials for helicopter stability and control?

Yes, there are several factors that must be considered when selecting materials for helicopter stability and control. These include weight, strength, durability, and cost. Helicopters must be lightweight to achieve lift, but they also need to be strong enough to withstand the forces of flight and any potential impacts. Durability is also essential as helicopters are subject to constant vibration and stress during flight. Finally, cost is a significant factor as materials can be expensive and must be balanced with other design considerations.

4. How does the design of the helicopter affect the choice of materials for stability and control?

The design of a helicopter is closely tied to the materials used in its construction. For example, a helicopter with a larger rotor system will require materials with higher strength and stiffness to support the increased weight and forces. Additionally, the shape and placement of components, such as the tail rotor and landing gear, will also impact the choice of materials. Designers must consider all aspects of the helicopter's structure and functionality when selecting materials for stability and control.

5. Are there any ongoing developments in materials for helicopter stability and control?

Yes, there are ongoing developments in materials for helicopter stability and control. Advances in technology and materials science have led to the development of new composite materials with improved strength and durability. Researchers are also exploring the use of lightweight metals and alloys, such as magnesium and beryllium, to further enhance the performance of helicopters. Additionally, advancements in computer-aided design and simulation allow for more efficient and effective material selection for improved stability and control.