Poles/Zeros of a Control System

In summary, the speaker is a ME student who has successfully completed two control theory courses at their university but still does not fully understand the practical applications of the concepts. They are seeking clarification on the purpose and presence of poles in systems, and how poles can be manipulated to control the behavior of a system. The speaker also notes the importance of incorporating practical problems into education and suggests researching servomechanisms and motor control for further understanding.
KiltedEngineer
ME student here. I have managed to get through two control theory courses at my university, which I have managed to get A+s in despite having no idea why I am doing all of it. I understand the math (i.e. why RHP poles are not good for the system stability) but do not understand what any of it means and how it can be applied to the real world. I was wondering if anyone here can clear up some of my confusion in laymen terms.

I have read on some website about how electric motors have two poles, subway cars have 9, aircraft may have 23 and spacecraft may have upwards of 100. What exactly do the poles represent, and what induces them into a system? Why do these systems have poles and what causes poles to be present?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Zeros and poles are not physical quantities, but mathematical quantities. You can calculate models and transfer function of a dc-motor by means of Laplace transforms or z_transforms, or you can measure them. For a typical dc-motor you could find the transfer function:

By Laplace transform: H(s) = 3.2 / ( s2+10.1s+1). Setting the denominator = 0 you can find the roots: s = -0.1 ∨ s = -10. These roots are the poles of the motor. Setting the numerator = 0, you can in the same way find the zeroes ( there are none here ).

By z-transform: H(z) = ( 3z + 3.6 ) / (z2 - 1.05z + 0.095) you can find the poles: z = 0.1 ∨ z = 0.95 and the zero: z = -1.2.

So mathematical quantities that depends on which transformation is used.

Now you want to control this motor, making a control loop wherein you add filter blocks, for example an integrator ( G(s) = 1/s or G(z) = z/(z-1) ). Thereby you add an extra pole to the system. In the same way you can add extra zeroes to the system. The purpose of doing so is to change the qualities of the controlled system. You may analyze the system by means of root-locus or other tools, determining where to add poles and zeroes. Example: If you make a speed controller for a dc-motor and you want its speed to be independent on the load, you must add an integrator in the control loop, but maybe now the loop will be unstable, so you must add a zero to stabilize it. You can now vary the location of the zero and/or you can vary the amplification in the loop, thereby plotting a root-locus and determine the limits wherein the controlled system is stable. Changing the amplification, A, the root-locus will start at the poles ( A = 0 ) and will be attracted by the zeroes as A is increased.

Last edited:
KiltedEngineer said:
I have managed to get through two control theory courses at my university, which I have managed to get A+s in despite having no idea why I am doing all of it.
That's why educators should include practical problems in their textbooks.

That math predicts the behavior of physical systems.
Historically it's relatively new. German textbooks were among the War Prizes brought home at end of WW2. Hence the phrase "Rocket Science".

You might search on terms servomechanisms and motor control for practical applications.

1. What are poles and zeros in a control system?

Poles and zeros are terms used to describe the behavior of a control system. Poles are points in the complex plane where the transfer function of the system becomes infinite, while zeros are points where the transfer function becomes zero.

2. How do poles and zeros affect the stability of a control system?

Poles and zeros can greatly impact the stability of a control system. If the system has poles in the right half of the complex plane, it will be unstable. Conversely, if all the poles are in the left half of the plane, the system will be stable.

3. How do I calculate the poles and zeros of a control system?

The poles and zeros can be calculated by finding the roots of the system's transfer function. This can be done using techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion.

4. What is the significance of the location of poles and zeros in a control system?

The location of poles and zeros can provide insight into the behavior of a control system. For example, if there are multiple poles at the same location, there may be oscillations in the system's response. Additionally, the number of poles in the right half of the complex plane can indicate the degree of instability in the system.

5. Can the poles and zeros of a control system be changed?

Yes, the poles and zeros of a control system can be changed by altering the system's parameters or adding components such as compensators. This can be done to improve the stability or performance of the system.