Need some clarification on this limit

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of the function (2^n)/(n^4) as n approaches infinity is not zero, despite the denominator approaching infinity faster than the numerator. This is due to the fact that the top of the function grows exponentially faster than the bottom. Applying l'Hôpital's rule and comparing the logarithms of the numerator and denominator can help clarify this concept.
UrbanXrisis
I need some clarification on this limit:

lim n-->infinity of (2^n)/(n^4)

since the bottom of the function reaches infinity way faster than the top, why isn't the limit zero? my book says that it is infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the numerator goes to infinity faster.

Take n=100, the numberator is 2100 which would be 1625, while the denominator is 1004 = 108.

I believe by applying l'Hôpital's rule, differentiate the numerator and denominator four-fold, the denominator becomes 4!, while the numerator is still factor of 2n

It might help to compare logarithms of the numerator and denominator.

UrbanXrisis said:
I need some clarification on this limit:
lim n-->infinity of (2^n)/(n^4)
since the bottom of the function reaches infinity way faster than the top, why isn't the limit zero? my book says that it is infinity.

Because the top of the function reaches infinity way faster than the bottom!

(Even 1.00001^n eventually increases faster than n^10000.)

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. It is used to determine the value a function approaches as an independent variable approaches a certain value.

2. How do I know when a limit exists?

A limit exists if the left-hand and right-hand limits of a function are equal at a particular point. This means that the value of the function is approaching a specific number as the input gets closer to that point.

3. Can a limit have multiple values?

No, a limit can only have one value. The limit of a function is unique, and if it has multiple values, it is considered to be undefined.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a particular value from one side, either the left or right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior from both the left and right sides of the input.

5. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or substitution. You can also use the limit laws, which state that if the limits of two functions exist, then the limit of their sum, difference, product, or quotient also exists and can be calculated using basic arithmetic operations.